1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango Transmission Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:35 AM
rcbaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango Transmission Code

Good Evening; I am a new member and a fellow enthusiast!
I have a 2002 Durango SLT, 2WD, 4.7 with 190+K miles. I have a transmission problem I would like someone to school me on. This past Spring, after driving about 600 miles, the check engine light came on and the transmission went into limp in mode. I took it to a shop and the fellow replaced an external pressure switch that was leaking and reset the PO 1765 code. The transmission worked fine all the way home and for the last 4 months. Today at a stop light, the engine light came back on and the transmission again went into the limp in mode. I pulled over, switched off the ignition and restarted the engine and the transmission shifted fine. I got it home and my scanner again identified the PO 1765 "D" solenoid circuit as faulty. I reset the code and it seems to be fine. My question is, since the "D" transmission solenoid circuit seems to be the problem, is it as simple as dropping the pan and replacing the solenoids?
Any help would be appreciated!
Rbaker

I have an update on the problem above! The transmission code pointed to a shift control solenoid pack. It is $400 through the dealer. I found it for $308 through Whateverittakes.com. I also found it for $232 through Moparonline.com.
I never did fix the AC problem. The powerful electric fan I bought in lieu of the manual clutch fan and original electric fan burned up for the second time, so I pulled it off and put the original fan, clutch, and electric fan back on- no more overheating problems, but the AC still won't cool when the temperature outside is above 90 degrees.

I finally gave up on the faithful Durango after 196,000 miles! I traded it in yesterday. The dealer gave me $1500.
RB

Last edited by rcbaker; 10-06-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: update on original problem

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango Transmission Code