1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Headlights remain very dim when shut off plus other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Rigione
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlights remain very dim when shut off plus other stuff

Here is the situation. I have a 2002 Durango SLT and recently the headlights remain on very dim when I shut the engine off. I hear a slight humming noise coming from the engine compartment but have not been able to isolate the location any more then that. Once the engine is started the lights completely shut off. Also both remote door lock openers are not working as well as the warning chime when you leave the keys in the ignition. Rather then the chime I now get a funny buzzing noise. Additionally the courtesy lights when you open the door only glow very dim and flicker. I appreciate any thoughts of what going on.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Rigione
Question Headlight remain on very dim plus other stuff

Here is the situation. I have a 2002 Durango SLT and recently the headlights remain on very dim when I shut the engine off. I hear a slight humming noise coming from the engine compartment but have not been able to isolate the location any more then that. Once the engine is started the lights completely shut off. Also both remote door lock openers are not working as well as the warning chime when you leave the keys in the ignition. Rather then the chime I now get a funny buzzing noise. Additionally the courtesy lights when you open the door only glow very dim and flicker. I appreciate any thoughts of what going on.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

since you are having a series of electrical problems, and your remote locks arent working that would make me look at the CTM probably being bad, its located in the drivers side kick panel, if you unplug it and the headlights go off i would say thats your problem.

it needs to be programmed to your remotes and features by the dealer

Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the battery and triple clean the connections!

Sounds like a grounding issue more than enything to me, it also could be a CTM issue.

Sharps<---Unplugging the CTM will make the lights go out because they are powered from it, that won't tell him anything?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:46 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the ctm controls the headlight relay from the way i understand it, and if its sending a lower than normal voltage the signal post on the relay maybe the relay is partly closed (not 100% sure if this is even possible, but it made sense this morning before i had my coffee) it would allow a low voltage through tot he bulbs creating a dim, but on condition. just a theorey i could be way off base on this reasoning

Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

This sounds like it could be a DRL module also if the vehicle is equipped with it. I know this past winter we had a bunch of problems with vehicles that the DRL module was shot and this was the exact same problem. If no DRL module present, simply disregard this post and if that's the case, I'd also have to agree that either a CTM is shot or possibly your headlight control switch might have a small short that's creating an arc. Highly unlikely, yet slightly possible!

Quick Reply: Headlights remain very dim when shut off plus other stuff