1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

transfer case maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old_School
You will find 2 plugs on the right side of the case top one is the fill plug bottom is the drain plug...
awesome... thanks old_school!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM
pkucan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srch4me
i think i have.... only thing i need to know is how to drain and fill it... is there a plug on it or do i have to unbolt the case
One thing I've read somewhere that makes a lot of sense. Take out the fill plug first because if you drain it and then can't get the fill plug out you are SOL.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 AM
srch4me
All Star

ok... ill keep that in mind

Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkucan
One thing I've read somewhere that makes a lot of sense. Take out the fill plug first because if you drain it and then can't get the fill plug out you are SOL.
Your not totally SOL...you can still drive it just can't use 4X4 till you get the plug free and fill it...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
Your not totally SOL...you can still drive it just can't use 4X4 till you get the plug free and fill it...
wrong, you ARE SOL bc the t-case contains moving parts(even when driving in 2wd) that will only last for a very short period of time w/o lubrication.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1

Moving parts need lubrication.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
+1

Moving parts need lubrication.
HAHA +1, all moving parts need lubrication is so true

Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 AM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

You will find that filling the transfer case with new fluid is a real PITA. There simply isn't very much vertical headroom between the fill port and the bottom of the Durango body. I ended up getting a small funnel and forced some tubing over the end of it. This allowed me to hold the funnel upright enough to pour into it.

Recently I saw where someone had poured the fluid into a zip lock bag, zipped it shut, and then clipped off a corner of the bag. Apparently the idea is to shove the clipped corner into the fill port and squeeze the bag to transfer the fluid. I've never tried this, but it might work.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Cuda4Speed
You will find that filling the transfer case with new fluid is a real PITA. There simply isn't very much vertical headroom between the fill port and the bottom of the Durango body. I ended up getting a small funnel and forced some tubing over the end of it. This allowed me to hold the funnel upright enough to pour into it.

Recently I saw where someone had poured the fluid into a zip lock bag, zipped it shut, and then clipped off a corner of the bag. Apparently the idea is to shove the clipped corner into the fill port and squeeze the bag to transfer the fluid. I've never tried this, but it might work.
When i was gonna change mine i went to the scrapyard and found a 88-98 Chevy Silverado and pulled the washer fluid tank... They have the motor for the washer built right into the tank. i filled it up with the correct fluid and put the hose from the tank in the plug hole... hooked it up to a 9v battery and filled her right up.... sure it sounds like a cheesey redneck idea and you can only run the motor in short periods but, hey it works.....

Just make sure to clean out the bottle with soap and water and run some though the pump too.... You can also use it to fill the front and rear axles that way.

Last edited by Old_School; 06-24-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

When i was gonna change mine i went to the scrapyard and found a 88-98 Chevy Silverado and pulled the washer fluid tank... They have the motor for the washer built right into the tank. i filled it up with the correct fluid and put the hose from the tank in the plug hole... hooked it up to a 9v battery and filled her right up.... sure it sounds like a cheesey redneck idea and you can only run the motor in short periods but, hey it works.....

Just make sure to clean out the bottle with soap and water and run some though the pump too.... You can also use it to fill the front and rear axles that way.
Redneck or not, that's awesome!

Quick Reply: transfer case maintenance