1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Air issues with heat and A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 PM
mtnbiker717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Air issues with heat and A/C

Has anyone else had an issue with the rear air in general, not just heat or just A/C?? Mine will blow a small amount of air on both settings. The blower motor does push air at different speeds at each speed setting, but all settings, it is very little. On low, I can hardly feel the air. Any ideas of what and where to start digging. The rear climate control system is one thing I have not tried to find yet... Thanks!!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 PM
mtnbiker717

Also, I have searched the forums and only could find things related to the A/C OR heat. I didn't find anything that would cause my issue on both A/C and heat. Thanks again!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like your going to have to look into the blend door in the back or the blower back there.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 AM
mtnbiker717

How much of a pain in the butt is it to get to? Couple minutes or hours?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you have to take out the inside passenger side rear panel so id set aside a couple hours just so i could do it carefully, if it doesnt take a couple hours you got some drinking time . . .

Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 AM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

Had any luck with it yet?

If not, you mentioned that even though the flow is impaired, you can cause it to change by varying the fan setting. How about the other controls? Can you make the temperature change from cold to hot? How about changing flow from the bottom vent to the overhead vents? If either of these does not change as expected, look for a problem with its associated control door.

There's one door very close to the bottom vent, that varies flow from the bottom to the top vents, and another door, for temperature control, in the middle of the unit that either bypasses or flows through the heater core. Since temperature control works by varying flow-through versus bypass, my guess is that that probably is not the source of your problem. But possibly the door that controls flow position is stuck mid-way, causing flow to both upper and lower vents simultaneously, and making the flow seem less because of that.

If those controls work okay, then maybe you've got some pluggage somewhere. On my 2001, there's no filter on the system, and all air passes through the evaporator coil, whether AC is on or not. So if a bunch of lint, fuzzy material, or other filth was ingested, it might build up on the evap coil and block or reduce flow. Unfortunately, the evap coil is a PITA to get to.

The HVAC unit is under the passenger side rear quarter interior cover. You have to remove the C and D pillar trim, top and bottom lift gate opening trim, 3rd row seat, and then the rear quarter interior cover, IIRC. It's really not as bad as it sounds.

Quick Reply: Rear Air issues with heat and A/C