1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Security System armed itself and I Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
grovegirl65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System armed itself and I Need Help

For no apparent reason our 98 Durango set off the security system 2 weeks ago. Have tried all that we can including taking it to dealer...no phob...and can't get one as the computer won't let the service tech talk to the computer therefore it can't reprogram a new phob...didn't even know this car had a security system...took drivers side door off and don't see anything out of the ordinary...have heard tell of a reset switch under steering wheel, does anyone know what this would look like or where it would be...will be happy for any info or new ideas to try.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

try this

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Put lock all the doors manually and close all doors with the drivers door shut lastly. Insert the key into the drivers side door and turn it like you are trying to lock it (counter clock). Now turn it all the way to the other side like you are trying to unlock the door (clock) and you will see the lock come up. Now turn the key to the middle position and remove key. Now open the door. DO NOT USE THE KEY FOB WHILE DOING THIS.

This is how to complete a full reset of the alarm.

Hope it fixes the issue!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What shrpshtr325 quoted is correct. It should say in the owners manual to. I had to with mine also, if it is reset correctly when you unlock it with the key the horn will beep 3 times. You might have to disconnect the battery and manually lock all the doors before you try the procedure.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the alarm is "Factory" then that quote will reset the system, but if it's aftermarket then you will have to completely remove it.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
grovegirl65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the Ideas

Using the key did not work but we used a schematics that a friend printed from a dealer site and found an orange wire with a green stripe on it bypassed that and then using a fuse tester we re directed from a square black fuse in the motor mounted fuse box and now we are just hoping it all works till we have it paid for. Thank you all for your ideas.

Quick Reply: Security System armed itself and I Need Help