1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

tail lamp positive lock electrical connection corroded...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
kevymac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy tail lamp positive lock electrical connection corroded...

Hello, I have a 1999 dodge durango, 5.2 and it has the tow package installed, which entails having a pigtail in between the OEM positive lock electrical connection that normally plugs in directly to the tail lamp assembly. Anyway, I don't believe the dealership greased the electrical connections and they are completely corroded, or perhaps I'm at fault for not removing them and greasing them occasionally, but I only started working on my own rigs about 3 years ago, and now the connections is totally corroded and I can't even get the connections apart even after having tried PB inside the wiring. Where can I get a new positive lock electrical connector to splice into the OEM wiring harness or what do I do? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
-Kevin

Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok,again in plain English please!

Are you talking about the trailer connection at the rear plug in or are you talking about the electrical wire loom at the spare tire??????

Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevymac
now the connections is totally corroded and I can't even get the connections apart even after having tried PB inside the wiring.

Cut it out and replace it. Waterproof and use the right dielectric grease on the connection this time around if your waterproofing doesn't cut it.

INdyD

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM
kevymac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so cut it out and replace it by purchasing another whole trailer wiring kit of course shrink wrapping and waterproof tape around the whole bundle once it's back in place, correct? My real question was where to get a new connector.... I wasn't sure if OEM sells the actual positive lock connectors or if I would have to search feverishly for aftermarket ones. I looked around and all I could find with the proper connector on it is the trailer wiring kit for my rig. The pigtail kits appear to be pretty cheap at least.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I love it when people answer your questions.......shakin head

/out of this one.

Quick Reply: tail lamp positive lock electrical connection corroded...