1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Shifting Problems on my Durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Gargoyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problems on my Durango

I own a 1998 Dodge Durango Automatic 5.2l V8 4WD. Now the truck has been great for me, I love working on it and keeping it running properly. But this problem is over my head at the moment.

The other day I was driving, I did a U-turn and had to stop and put it into reverse a little. When I moved my shifter to the reverse it felt like it was in gear, I push the gas and it was still in drive. So I moved the shifter back down to drive and made sure it was in the gear, moved it back to reverse(no problems), then when I was ready I put it back in drive(no problems) I continued to drive for another 10 mins or so til I got to my destination. When I got done with what I am doing I get back in my truck and try to turn the car on, nothing, So I think maybe it is in gear(drive). I go to move my shifter to park or nuetral and there is no restriction at all, it drops up and down with free play.

Now the shifter is on the steering column, to my understanding there is a cable that attachs to the shifter that allows it to go into a gear. But the problem is I can't seem to find anything about this problem. I have checked numerous forums and still nothing. Anyone have any idea if this is the problem or if it might be something else? Or where I might find some good info on this?

Thank you for you help.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the linkage down on the transmission.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Gargoyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually found the problem. Under the steering column there is a rubber connecter looking thing. It was missing the clip that was holding to the metal. Go figure right, 2 days of looking at it took a 2 dollar hose clamp.

Thank you

Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gargoyle i know the pain... i had a loss of power and my ac was acting funny along with my cruise control refusing to work... 75 cents worth of vaccume hose was all it took to fix it... somehow one of the vacuum lines had melted and collapsed

Quick Reply: Shifting Problems on my Durango