1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

a/c compressor with groaning noise - 99 durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 AM
hogdurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c compressor with groaning noise - 99 durango

I have a 99 dodge durango and I'm new to this forum.

My a/c compressor clutch went out on me. I figured it looks easy enough to replace the a/c compressor and clutch, so I did. I bought a new one off the internet and installed it (Denso). I put in about 4 oz of compressor oil (pag 100) and turned the clutch till the oil oozed out the other end. Then I bolted it back on turned the engine on, and tried it, so far so good. Then I went to a chain auto repair shop (rhymes with Flinstone) to get the r-134 evac'd and refilled.

After I got it back from Flintstone I test drove it, with the a/c on MAX. After a few seconds, I heard a loud groaning noise coming from under the hood, I popped open the hood and noticed that the noise occurs whenever I saw the a/c clutch "sticking", It'll turn and stick, turn and stick. When I turn the A/c off, the noise is gone.

Any idea what's causing this? Any help is appreciated, thanks

Old 07-18-2011, 03:36 AM
hogdurango

forgot to mention, I have the 5.2 L engine with 4x4

Old 07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the pulley actually stop?

Or does it just lock up and start to turn like it should?

Also, did the compressor already come pre-filled with oil?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 PM
hogdurango

by pulley, do you mean the free spinning wheel? if so, then no, the pulley will keep on spinning. But the middle part (I'm assuming it's the clutch) that is spinning the internal parts of the compressor is stopping and acting like its locking up.

Also I took it back to the shop, they told me that whenever I change compressor, I need to change the accumulator and the expansion valve as well. Is that true? Accumulators i can understand, but the expansion valve? I thought the expansion valve was just a type of nozzle that has no moving part?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
hogdurango

I forgot to add.....

I dont know if it came pre-packed with oil. I just went ahead and added about 4 oz and turned the clutch.

This is my first time replacing a compressor.
thanks again

Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The accumulator should be replaced because of the Desicant in there might be saturated with water, that's all. it is a good idea, but You really dont have to replace it. And i doubt ur noisy compressor has anything to do with it.

By any chance you can take a Video Clip of the groaning noise?

with engine off, spin the Center part of the compressor by hand, do u feel the groaning or drag? Also, did you check the air gap of the Clutch?

The Clutch suppose to Cycle off (release) when the evaporator core temp is cold, you are seeing normal operation when it "stick".

Quick Reply: a/c compressor with groaning noise - 99 durango