1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 durango exhaust manifold replace??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 PM
timgalla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 durango exhaust manifold replace??

Left side top rear exhaust manifold bolt broken so it leaks. Loudly.
Just had it in shop for right side fix now new leak but looks easy to to do without shop. Question is - will manifold truely be warped or can I r euse it? Trying to save $100 on manifold and $250 labor if I can.
Thanks for any and all help and opinions.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If it was me I would pull out the manifold and look over it good. I would put it on a known flat surface to see if it is warped (just like you where going to bolt it on). If it has excessive rust and is slightly warped I would replace it. How many miles are on it and does Colorado use salt on their roads?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM
timgalla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks adukart. No rust. very little salt here. Yes, your right I will have to check it. The bolt that holds the sheild in place is the broken one and I can see that it is broken flush at the nut so looks like I should be able to get stud out without drilling. The dealer had me believe that the other side would be warped so I just said yes, replace. But the service rep was as bad a used car saleman. They tried to sell me more service than I could believe. $375 for trans flush and filters. $100 for computer firmware update. On and On.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They usually aren't warped, can they become, yes.

What I would do it pull the bolts and studs out and re-bolt it in with grade 8 bolts from your local Home Depot or go to the dealer if you want to use your heat shield. If after you install the manifold it still leaks then try using a manifold gasket. If all else fails you can pull one from a junker.

In the 2002 Durango service manual it shows you how to check for a warped manifold. http://www.mediafire.com/?fqnnjdzq252

Quick Reply: 03 durango exhaust manifold replace??