1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What have I done? Door latch / window trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 PM
speed1000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What have I done? Door latch / window trouble

Hi,
I recently replaced my driver side window regulator on my '99 Durango, after the window had fallen in to the door. I am not a car guy by any means but followed a step by step install video on youtube and appeared to solve the problem. The window will now close and function normally.
However two things occurred in the replacement process.

1) There is a white tab that thwaps one of the wire cables as it goes down. I removed the new regulator and reinstalled it and the same thing is happening. I thought it was because the wires were crossed but it seems you cannot put the reg. motor in the door with them not crossed. The window is now extra noisy as it moves.

2) With the door put back together the latch stays pulled after you pull it to exit the vehicle. It doesn't snap back into position unless pushed closed. I had thought the screw behind it to remove the panel might be too loose or tight but that's not it. I thought maybe something inside was disconnected but nope or maybe the plastic moisture barrier was causing it to be sticky but doesn't appear to be.

I'm looking to try fixing these once again this afternoon. Any advice?

Last edited by speed1000; 08-15-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added more copy
Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

All you can do is try to look inside and see what is hanging up you latch and interfering with the window going up and down (making the noise).

Old 08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull it apart again... make sure you did it right... lube anything that might be rubbing

Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 AM
maxfly
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what you describe it sounds like the door latch bar or automatic lock bar is rubbing against the regulator. i had the same problem with my sierra. youll have to pull the panel and figure out how the latch bar is supposed to fit next to the regulator. the latch/lock slider or bar should be closest to the panel side of the door.
hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: What have I done? Door latch / window trouble