1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Air question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
mvoss2576
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Air question?

This may be a dumb question (although I've heard the only dumb ones are the ones not asked..)

The rear blower unit, since the weather is cooling off and my poor daughter thinks she'll freeze to death sometimes (LOL) was wanting the air to blow warm, and I thought it did... but never could get it to blow warm... is it supposed to if you switch the **** on the dash to warm?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

that will depend on if you have rear controls (dual a/c heat unit) i believe the single unit (without rear seat controls) just recirculates the air from the front

Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
92blazada

If you're talking about the rear headliner vents, then no. Those fan from the headliner blows the cold air from the ac lines that come from the front. If you turn on the heater from the dash, it still won't blow hot from back there. If anything, it will blow the recirculated air from the inside of the truck. So it won't be hot, just warmish, if that makes any sense. If you want any hot air for the rear, then turn the air flow **** on the dash to the feet only position, that way at least it'll direct heated air from the heater core to the back. The only thing is that it will come out from the center console vents, which doesn't blow that strong. Hope this helps!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
mvoss2576
Professional

Thanks, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I was hoping the top ones would blow warm air, because the ones on the back floor only work if the heat is blowing up front, and I usually start roasting a lot quicker than she does. LOL

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

On the 1999 there is no heat, it is only A/C if the front A/C is on because it does have A/C lines going to it and an evaporator, or a simple fan. Again, there is no heat option and no heater lines going to it.

There should be heat ducks in the middle of the floor over the trans mound in the cab that goes from the dash to the 1st rear seat area floor boards if the switch is engaged in the back. However you have to have the front fan on and have it set to the desired temperature. However it might have only been in the SLT+ version, can't remember.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you set the airflow to heat floor mode, you will get quite a good amount of air to blow thru the center console rear vents. However, the temp control does not match up well with the front. I assume it may have to do with the blend door. If I set the temp to 3/4 way to max warm, the front temp is just right, but the rear vents is blowing COLD air. The only way to get the rear to blow warm air is to set the temp to near max or max to get the rear to start getting warm air. By then the front is blow very hot air and the people in front will start roasting before the people in the starts warming up! LOL

I think starting 2001-2003 with the 2nd generation interior refresh, they now offer a/c as well as heat in the rear. Temp control is separate on the front and rear.

Quick Reply: Rear Air question?