1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Possible ECM Failure Well pretty sure

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM
jtrinkle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible ECM Failure Well pretty sure

I wanted someone else's opinion on this but it appears the ECM has gone bad in my 2000 Durango. It started yesterday running rough and dieing and the check engine light came on. I checked it with my scanner and got a P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error. I unhooked the battery for a while and this morning it ran fine then later it would not start again. After it goes through the startup sequence the check engine light comes on and the odometer says "no bus" it also sounds like every relay under the hood is working overtime. I have already removed the computer and was going to try any order a replacement in the morning but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know a thing or two about the 2000 Durango.

No Bus on a 2000 is usually either a bad connection to the PCM **or** a bad PCM. You are on the right path. Clean the connections well, reconnect and check again. If it continues, it is likely indeed a bad PCM.

Never positive, but fairly certain.

Once reconnected, double check that battery for a full charge and tight connections too. Batt issues won't usually throw a code but will cause very poor low idle conditions.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 indy, batteries can and will do whacky stuff to a vehicle, knew a kid who's battery went bad in his 02 bonneville, car started and drove but did stuff like shoot cd's into the back seat, sad part is I'm not exaggerating. But most likely connection at the pcm or the pcm itself.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 PM
jtrinkle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like this ECM is a goner but it appears to be an even bigger task to get a replacement. I have already checked with O'reiley, Auto Zone and Advance and none of them can get the computer. Advance did call the Vendor Cardone and they said they did not have it and could not rebuild mine. So my big question; any recommendations on where to get a replacement. I have checked on some of the places like Auto Computer Exchange and some of the reviews scare the crap out of me. I also checked the junk yard but no luck there as well. Right now I feel like Al Bundy with my Dodge.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

WhiteWidow00 Knows a place you can get new PCM's for a good price that are pre-flashed and ready for direct install seeing you don't want a rebuilt one. Email of PM him and ask him to post here.

Quick Reply: Possible ECM Failure Well pretty sure