1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Question Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix?

Hi everyone,

My Durango has 113k. I noticed last week a clicking sound when I was turning my wheel ever slightly while driving. This week it has gotten slightly worse. So I had someone slightly turn my steering wheel while parked and noticed that the u-joint of the steering column (which has some orange piece (maybe a grommet/bearing) is whats causing the clicking/extra play. I took a picture, I hope you guys can make it out. I am on the drivers side of the engine looking down at the steering column.

Question is, what do I have to do in order to fix this? Do I have to buy the whole shaft or just the lower shaft? I am looking at the parts manual and it looks like its 1 piece top to bottom in the dodge manual. As you can see I also have a diagram from a parts list from some other company that shows different parts for lower and middle etc. My friend said that the shafts are all pressed in and I can't just buy the lower and swap.

Guys any advice?

Shot at 2011-10-13

Shot at 2011-10-13

Shot at 2011-10-13

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer part. You won't be able to replace the joint alone ... Entire shaft only

Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM
monster406s10
Rookie

What year is your Durango? On my 2000 i was able to buy a intermediate steering shaft off from ebay for a 2001-03 Durango and with a little time i got it on and it works perfect.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Bobman
Veteran

As others have said it depends on the year. 01-03 definately has a lower shaft that's replaceable and is a common wear point on them. Dealer price on mine wasn't that far off from online pricing, and it's a quick job to do the lower intermediate shaft.

Make sure you wrap the seatbelt around the steering wheel a few times to stop it from turning when the lower shaft is removed, otherwise you'll be replacing the clockspring as well. Use some blue lock-tite on the coupling bolts & tighten them up good....

Bob

Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Irondime
Rookie

My 99 has the same problem

Old 10-15-2011, 02:00 AM
fcastro
Professional

Guys thanks for the replies so far.

I have a 2000 4.7 Durango. I found a tutorial for a Dakota/Durango. The tutorial mentions just replacing the intermediate shaft but again it seems like the 2000 Durango doesn't just have that piece and as sam mentioned its the whole shaft has to get changed.

Tutorial is here:
http://www.autopartsdirecttoyou.info/?p=50

Monster could you fill in me in with a bit more detail as to what you had to do to get it installed? Is is a size issue or pressing the joint issue etc?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

2000 was a big year for changes ... Many were mid-year changes. That's why I suggested calling the dealer for the part number. Nonetheless, you should be able to replace each shaft individually. The intermediate shaft is typically the fail point though. My statement previously was about replacing a joint within the shaft.
Referring back to purchasing.... Regardless of where you buy this (dealer or ebay) it will be Mopar. You might as well go with the dealer because their prices are about the same with this part.
Installation is very straight forward. You need to remove the driver side wheel (and fender well splash shield if you can, I didn't though). There are only 2 bolts, one on each end of the shaft. Also, it is designed to connect in a specific manner so you may have to spin it a few times for the bolt holes to line up when installing the new one. Use thread lock.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM
monster406s10
Rookie

Dealer wanted $250 I got one off ebay for $90. Just sayin

Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

When you say the "Dealer", did you try more than one? They will vary. I gave a link to a very competitively priced dealer. As a matter of fact, I first found them on eBay.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:52 AM
BenitaLynn

I just had the same problem with my 2000 'Rango....the steering wheel was really loose. I had to replace the lower sector shaft on mine & got it for $174 from the dealer & I had a good friend of my sons install it for me for $25

Quick Reply: Question Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix?