1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Diff service question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
dolittle
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes do both diffs. I use http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...il/gear-oil/59
and I use black RTV. Not sure what is the best but I have not had any problems yet.
No paper gasket.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Irondime
Rookie

The the rear took just under 2 bottles with the modifier, how much fer the front?

Last edited by Irondime; 11-04-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Durangovaldeez
Rookie

I'm doing the front this weekend but I believe the puter at AutoZone said just under 2 bottles. I put in just over 2 bottles + the modifier on the rear.

One more question - I opend the reaer just cause I wanted to see what the gears look like.
Do you guys always R&R the cover or just vacume out the old and squeeze in the new?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i prefer to remove the cover, gives you a chance to take a look at whats inside and catch any potential problems early

Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

About 1 and a 1/2 quarts for the front.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Irondime
Rookie

The guy at advanced auto told me I needed 3 with the modifier when I did the rear last month, so I got a a extra bottle of Mobil 1 in the garage, I think ill go get another 1 and do the front this weekend.
I do believe when I was changing the oil I looked at it and I do believe a skid plate needs to come off. Can I use my impact to take of the skid plate or are these prone to snapping?

And is the plug the same as the rear?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Durangovaldeez
Rookie

Iron - the dealer told me the plugs are the same but then again he only had one in stock. Can you believe that? A part that takes that little of space and cost them a nickel / sell for $4.00

Old 11-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irondime
The guy at advanced auto told me I needed 3 with the modifier when I did the rear last month
That is why i NEVER trust a chain auto parts store, most of the time (atleast in my area) there employees are some washed up knuckle head that they hired from labor ready.... Consulting the FSM or the forum are your best chioce.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, you have to take the skid plate off to get to the front if equipped. I never had a problem taking mine off with my impact wrench. I usually just pump the old fluid out on the front differential. Getting the fluid back in is a B!TCH unless you know a trick or two!

Old school trick number, well hell I don't know!....

Getting the fluid back in is a B!TCH! The way I do it is get a clear hose about 4-5 feet long about 1/2 inch ID. Then I remove the filler plug on the cover and place the hose into the differential. I cap off the other side with a little tape and thread it to the top side of the motor. Then get a funnel for the top.

Now I get my lubricant and place them in the sink in the kitchen cap up. I plug the sink off and fill with HOT water from the tap to about the top of the lubricant, not the bottle. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and pull them out careful not to get any water in them (usually used sealed containers not old opened bottles) dry them off with a paper towel and take the 2 quarts outside and pour the first one in. Because it is HOT the fluid pours like water down into the front diff through the hose. Remember to have a tub under it in case you over fill or the hose comes out. Then pour half of the second bottle in and check the level.

You want the level about 1/4 inch below the fill plug to make room for when the fluid is hot and expands. Now if you are putting in hot fluid like this the about 1/8 inch below is fine.

I do this with all my lubricants. Makes oil come out of the bottle like water and gets most of it out in the first shot and it is VERY quick!

Quick Reply: Rear Diff service question