1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear End Housing Swap What Years are interchangeable

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget to get the same gearing! If you are running 3.92's you don't want to swap for a 3.55 ratio. Check it out real good.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM
crankbait
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Felt like posting an update sorry no pics, I tried but they turned out crappy because of the lighting in my garage.

Rear end from the '99 went in like a dream, I had one minor hiccup with the tranny turns out was a complete oversight on my part. I changed the filters and fluid and while the truck was still on the jacks I wanted to test to ensure everything worked but I lost all drivability. 5 codes came up and all were pressure related in the tranny so I thought the tranny was screwed. While researching I happened to remember that I thought the sump filter didn't feel right when I put it in but it was in. I didn't get the seal seated completely, dropped the tranny pan again fixed the seal and all is good. for a truck that has 215,000 miles you couldn't tell, doesn't seem as though its lacking any power. Think I'll go back to pick and pull pick up a tranny and engine to rebuild over the winter maybe then I'll have a vehicle that'll last me several more years for less than 3,000 $.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 AM
brhodes
Professional

Originally Posted by crankbait
Felt like posting an update sorry no pics, I tried but they turned out crappy because of the lighting in my garage.

Rear end from the '99 went in like a dream, I had one minor hiccup with the tranny turns out was a complete oversight on my part. I changed the filters and fluid and while the truck was still on the jacks I wanted to test to ensure everything worked but I lost all drivability. 5 codes came up and all were pressure related in the tranny so I thought the tranny was screwed. While researching I happened to remember that I thought the sump filter didn't feel right when I put it in but it was in. I didn't get the seal seated completely, dropped the tranny pan again fixed the seal and all is good. for a truck that has 215,000 miles you couldn't tell, doesn't seem as though its lacking any power. Think I'll go back to pick and pull pick up a tranny and engine to rebuild over the winter maybe then I'll have a vehicle that'll last me several more years for less than $3,000.
A man after my own heart. I've done that with a few different vehicles, and what makes it great, is that after you swap the new motor and tranny into yours, you can get at probably a 3rd of your money back when you sell the old motor and tranny on craigslist. I bought my '96 suburban in the fall of 2002, got a "rebuildable" motor and tranny pair a couple of weeks later for $250 and spent less than $700 on machine work and parts that winter. Sold the motor and tranny I pulled out (with 140k miles on them) for $1000 the following March on craigslist. Not counting labor, it didn't cost me a penny. I'm still driving that suburban. Has over 250k on the speedo now.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Aaron Smith
Default Rear axle swap

Ive got a 2000 dodge Dakota 4 wheel drive 3.55 gear 9.25 breaks hexagon 12 bolt im needing another rear axle since I bought it used someone wielded the center pin and I tried everything to not cause damage removing it but failed if a dodge durango has the same gear, breaks,hexagon cover would it fit on my Dakota I find another dodge truck that is a different year lower than mine I think a 94 it has the same gear ratio 3.55 12 bolt hex cover can't use axle but could I use the gears to fix mine since its the same?

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 10-24-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:53 AM
Durangoman87

Originally Posted by crankbait
I tore my diff apart last night on my 2000 durango, it appears that a pinion bearing froze on the pinion and gored into the housing. My guess is a rear housing swap is in my future. I can pick up an entire rear housing at my local P&P for 130$ but its from a 99 durango, not worried about the internals just the housing, if it takes the same size ring gear will it work?

UPDATE: Picked up the entire rear assembly today from my local pick and pull 165$ total. I was extremely impressed when I opened the diff covers to remove the axles ( had to take dust covers off to get the axles out) Looked like the rearend was recently serviced before it was scrapped.

Not a good Pic but you can somewhat see the damage and trashed bearing. I will be removing the housing from truck tonight so I should be able to get even better pics

does anyone know if I swap my 2003 Durango SLT 4.7L AWD plus 4wd with 3.55 gears and 10 bolt round cover for a 2005 or any other year ? Or what years are interchangeable?
I haven't done anything like this before so I am not sure what to do

Old 06-02-2023, 03:56 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

03 was one year only with disc brakes. Maybe a Dakota one would work from 03-04.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:10 PM
Durangoman87

Originally Posted by that_guy
03 was one year only with disc brakes. Maybe a Dakota one would work from 03-04.
yea I've been having a really hard time finding a good rear end assembly for my Durango slt 4.7l awd to add to the issue its a LSD as well but I'm not worried about that being locked i can run a open rear I think I'm not using it for off road use just normal wear

Old 06-02-2023, 04:12 PM
Durangoman87

Originally Posted by that_guy
wish I could find a decent one ive found a couple for $488 shipped out to me but my scrap yard has one for 350 but no real promises of performance u don't feel comfortable with that lol

Old 06-02-2023, 04:41 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What's wrong with yours? Is it rebuildable?

Quick Reply: Rear End Housing Swap What Years are interchangeable