1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear A/C and Heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
tgibbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear A/C and Heat issues

I have a 2003 Durango that I am having all sorts of issues with the rear A/C and heat. I am the original owner, and have done a lot of work on this Durango myself. Just recently, I had the A/C, main compartment, rebuilt because it had died. I also just replaced the electric auxiliary pump because it was leaking fluid. So I have a few questions:
1.) Does the rear unit have a seperate compressor for the A/C than the main unit?
2.) Would low coolant cause the heat not to blow hot air?
3.) Is there a video or step by step link that shows how to access the rear compartment for the A/C and heat?
4.) If I am not getting hot air through the rear unit, what might some of my potential problems be?

Thanks,
TG

Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

1) no, the system just takes a larger charge of refrigerant
2) yes, especially if you have an air bubble caught in the heater core
3) unfortunately no
4) it could be as simple as no airflow through the core, it could be no coolant flow through the core (check this by crawling underneath the truck when its hot and feeling the two heater core lines going to the rear). if you cant hear the fan running i would check that out too., but first check the lines and get back to us, they go up from underneath just behind the passenger side rear door.

a note, the rear heat only comes out of the foot well in the third row iirc, so check there to see how much heat you get from it.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 PM
kentobe89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 dodge durango r/t 5.9. the rear blend door is good an so is the accuator but there is no power to the front accuator any guesses? the resistor also keeps blowing

Last edited by kentobe89; 01-10-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear A/C and Heat issues