1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM
john1974
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issue

I have a 1999 dodge durango 4x4 automatic 5.9l and recently I bought new pads for front and rear, new rotors, new drums, new springs for brakes in rear. (none of it is in my truck yet.)

The issues
Once in a awhile I will start my truck and the abs/brake lights will not go off. it doesnt happen often but it happens.

Just the other day coming to a stop I hit the brakes and the front didnt work that good felt like abs on ice and I almost hit a car in front of me. the pedel during this time feels soft and you can feel the pumping action in it. Later it didnt do it at all driving home after work but today it started doing it again after a few miles. Last night I took the front passenger side tire off and the rotors look good, no leaks, pads have alot remaining on them. (Did not get to check the driverside which I feel is more of the issue.)

I didnt see leaks on either side of front when I looked and fluid was full under hood. Ideas? I plan on with a friend installing all the new parts I have but I wonder if something else is going on also.

thanks

Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the rear ABS Speed Sensor located on the top of the rear differential for your ABS light and this most likely will fix your braking issue. Also, I would replace the Transmission Output Sensor because they like to go out in pairs and use the same circuit as well as talk to each other in the system. On yours it will be on the drivers side of the transmission about 3/4 the way back. When you replace it there will be a little fluid that will come out so watch out.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
john1974
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Replace the rear ABS Speed Sensor located on the top of the rear differential for your ABS light and this most likely will fix your braking issue. Also, I would replace the Transmission Output Sensor because they like to go out in pairs and use the same circuit as well as talk to each other in the system. On yours it will be on the drivers side of the transmission about 3/4 the way back. When you replace it there will be a little fluid that will come out so watch out.
Thanks I knew about the rear one which I will buy soon, but I didnt know about the two working together. I got the front done but I have to bleed them before I test if the front is better. Passenger side front lower caliper bolt was stuck so I had to drill it out and heli coil it but seems good to go. After that its on to the rear, and sensors.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Brake issue