1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is this Spark Plug Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this Spark Plug Knock?

You have to listen VERY carefully to hear it, but this is me sitting in the truck door closed, idling..Only happens sometimes, not all the time...

http://youtu.be/_CyQXXPrm8o

Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Spark knock will only happen while the engine is under a load such as WOT or on a hard uphill pull. Hard to tell from the vid but all I could hear was an occassional what sounded to be something of a 'peck' sound. That's not spark knock.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 AM
TurboStixx
Captain

Yeah you can't hear it too well on the video, it is pretty clear to hear just sitting there in the truck. I will try to get a video tonight with the wifes phone, it is a better phone so it may pick it up a little better. Like I said it only happens sometimes and is a sound that reminds me of the exhaust, but is coming from the engine bay. When I rev just a little I can still hear it but when I get into higher RPMs when driving I can't hear it but that may be because the truck sound is louder. No Codes on the computer, just went out and scanned it a few minutes ago.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You do get spark knock on idle as well as WOT. In fact I can hear it better at idle personally. But that don't sound like knock, it sounds like bad ignition. Either a plug or an injector. Using a stethoscope you can find the cylinder and replace the spark plug with Champion Copper gaped at .040 and install. If that doesn't work swap one of the spark plug wires with one of the same length and see if it moves to the new location, if so replace the wires. If that doesn't stop it swap the injector wit one from the other side of the motor, if it moves sides then replace the injector.

If nothing else, look at the wiring harness on the injector for corrosion and look at the wiring as well. Then you can do a dry/wet compression test and maybe a leak down compression test.

Also could be a bad cap and rotor, Cam sensor (under the distributor), or crank sensor (on the back of the engine passenger side).

Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Cool, thanks hydra, I have been waiting on your response! Where have you been hiding? How you had an excellent holiday with your family. Tends to come and go, but I only hear it at idle, I will take a look with a stethoscope. What is WOT? Where on the block do I put the stethoscope? Not on the intake obviously, just want to make sure i put it in the right spot. I will say there is a tick sometimes when the truck is running, which just sounds like it is coming from the injectors.

BTW, on the disappearing oil, we figured it out, had the wrong dipstick! Would have never noticed missing oil!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

God I feel special, kinda warm and fuzzy..........LMFAO

I've been researching my new Muzzle Loader, Hunts, and ect.. Not to mention this time of year I'm running around.

Put the scope down at the top of the cylinder, bottom of the head (but between it and the exhaust manifold). Something else you can do is get a rubber glove and take a spark plug wire off one at a time off the distributor and listen for a change, if it changes and lugs replace the wire, when you take it off and nothing much happens you got the right cylinder or possibly the right bad ignition wire. Other then that, probe around and you will hear all sorts of new sounds.

WOT (Wide Open Throttle)

Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

I like new sounds!

Quick Reply: Is this Spark Plug Knock?