1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What Have I gotten into...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Have I gotten into...

Well, I am in the middle of replacing my heater core, and well, I just didn't know what I was gitting myself into...Any advice?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
mackgraham
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. What issues are you having?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
mackgraham
Amateur

It really wasn't that bad. I didn't remove the dash completely out of the car. I have a 99 durango. 5.2 2wheel drive.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

Yeah i just have the dash disconnected and kind of dangling, left the main wires connected on the drivers side. Using a bungy to suspend it and pull the passenger side away from to firewall, my only thing is getting the dash back right. Interior has never been my forte. Where are the bolts to remove that box where the heater core is, are they all on the firewall side?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Andreas2k10
Rookie
Default Next time

Next time you think of working on a heater core...you might want to do this instead:

http://www.mysnuggiestore.com/?tag=i...a_bid=bc305a78

mmmhmmm....

Seriously though, i need to dig into my heater as well. not heating the way it is supposed to. BUT...as summer and 120+ approach...THAT can wait.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
jaydubyagee
Amateur

Originally Posted by TurboStixx
Yeah i just have the dash disconnected and kind of dangling, left the main wires connected on the drivers side. Using a bungy to suspend it and pull the passenger side away from to firewall, my only thing is getting the dash back right. Interior has never been my forte. Where are the bolts to remove that box where the heater core is, are they all on the firewall side?
There are four bolts on the firewall side. Three are reasonably accessible, but one is tucked behind the passenger valve cover. As you remove these take care to support the heater box. If it is not supported, the full weight of the box will rest on the plastic drain spout and may break it off, resulting in condensate falling inside the car instead of outside.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM
mackgraham
Amateur

As jaybubyagee said. Their are four bolts in the engine bay on the fire wall. One support strap on the inside on the passenger side. Their is a vacuum hose that comes out where the heater core comes through the fire wall. Its plastic. Be sure to disconnect that to. My heat stopped blowing out in the floor and it was because that hose was broken.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
mackgraham
Amateur

The evaporator is in the same box the heater core is. Good idea to replace that while you are in there. I was already having ac issues so I didn't have to worry about loosing any freon.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
otgarzā
Captain

My suggestion would be to take pics so you can make sure everythings in the right place and also separate all the nuts and bolts. Sucks when you think youve got it and you forget where somethin came from or where it goes

Old 01-14-2012, 08:25 PM
TurboStixx
Captain

All great ideas.

otgarzā: The pictures I didn't do (I always mean to so I can do a write up). However, before I started, I went and bought a 100 count of ziploc bags (never know how many bolts you might have!) and put bolts in bags and labeled them (e.g. Bottom Left Front Gound wire) it really helped in the putting it back together.

mackgraham: I wasn't going to replace the evaporator (was just too dang expensive), but then, I found out the IDIOT P.O. decided to put silicone on the expansion valve bolts to where I could not get the expansion valve off, until the bolts broke. so I went and bought a new Evap for 80 bucks ($40 off with my nice discount) and then spent the day trying to find the bolts that connect the evap and expansion valve.

I do not know who came up with the idea of having the evap block and expansion valve block screw together with a bolt AND NOT HAVE THE BOLTS COME WITH EITHER ONE! I went to Lowe's and picked up 2 M6-1.0x50mm which fits perfectly.

This definitely wasn't as bad as I thought. When I posted this I just had the dashboard dangling and it was just a little overwhelming. I need to connect the A/C lines back up then recharge the AC and add anti-freeze, and I am done. I am at 10 hours collectively over the last 3 days (shop said it takes 9) so I am pretty proud of myself! Now, lets up it starts up and runs with heat!

Quick Reply: What Have I gotten into...