1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fuse issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Frozen_Joker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse issue...

Alright, my 98 Durango is on the fritz. First it started to blow the #2 Back Up Light fuse, doesn't matter whats in there, tried all of them. Now it won't turn of the rear interior light. I am about to go mess with it again. But I can't seem to figure out why its doing it. I installed a new trailer light hookup last summer, but I did it from guessing cause the wires where it went into the housing had turned to dust. Since I did that I had to upgrade the 15 amp brakelight fuse to a 20 otherwise it would blow out cause of the trailerbrake. Did I maybe hook these wires up wrong?? I used the Dodge 6pin one from Autozone.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds to me like that trailer wiring is the problem, either water inside it or a poorly done job that is now shorting out and possibly even with the wrong gauge of wire.

taking it out would be the best for troubleshooting purposes.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Frozen_Joker
Rookie

Umm...its impossible to be a bad job or wrong gauge wire cause its the clamp type connections with the screw and I also only cut back on the wire a bit to get to fresh wire. I've checked it anyway and its all fine. This fuse thing is driving me nuts and I need my back up lights back on.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Sharps

Since I did that I had to upgrade the 15 amp brakelight fuse to a 20 otherwise it would blow out cause of the trailerbrake. Did I maybe hook these wires up wrong??
Well there is your problem. You shouldn't be blowing a 15 AMP fuse unless your grounding somewhere. Remove your wiring job and I bet your problems will be fixed.

but I did it from guessing cause the wires where it went into the housing had turned to dust.
On your Drango there would already be a wiring harness up between the spare tire and drivers frame and it should be a 4 wire hook up I believe, unless you already had a factory wiring harness installed whereas you would use it. Get under it and really look for it. When you hooked this plug up you said your old one was bad, did you mean the factory plug (only available at the dealer) or what do you mean by this statment?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 AM
Frozen_Joker
Rookie

I rechecked the wiring and its fine. I need the 20AMP anyway cause there is a trailer brake going off the same fuse. The 15 AMP would only blow when I used my trailer with the trailer brake. The 20 AMP holds great now. I have traced the fuse issue to my NSS. Which if I am correct is also the reverse switch. The bulbs have been replaced and its no longer blowing the 15 AMP Fuse. This makes sense cause I also can't start the car in Park thanks to the NSS. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Fuse issue...