1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Speakers in my 02' Durango...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM
harleytech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speakers in my 02' Durango...

Hi , I just wanted to drop a note that I changed my speakers in my Durango and they sound kick ***...! This may be unorthadox but i purchased 4 sony explode 6.5 in. speakers from Best Buy. I used all four original spacers ,Drilled new holes in the spacers for new speakers, Soldered on new ends for the new speakers..Cut the stock plug off..
I put 2-way in the rear and 3-way in the front,and I'm using all 4 tweeters
with all 4 new speakers...Radio sounds great,CD sounds great, Tape sounds great but when I use my Zune thats where it shines.It acts like a pre amp and it drives the speakers nice..! All four speakers are 4 ohm and i can't tell the difference between 2 ohms or 4 ohms...Sound wise..Bass is great,Mids are great and highs are great. I have the Infinity system and am running the stock head unit..All 4 of the stock speakers were torn
and shredded around the outer edge of the woofer , But they still worked..?
Weired..Well I just wanted to vent..Thanks...JMHO...

Last edited by harleytech; 02-17-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur

Yeah, after replacing my stocks it was a breath of fresh air.

Fusion 250w components up front with the tweeters mounted in the top of each window pillar and crossovers under the door panel, with Fusion components in the back, 1000w amp under the driver seat, then a 900w amp in the back attached to the single seat and a 12" sub in box..

Pioneer in the head

Last thing I wish I could find was a better FM antenna because the city I live in is right at the edge of the range for the only good station in Ohio, lol

Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
harleytech
Rookie

Maybe try an FM amp of some kind...Something that plugs inbetween the radio and antenna..I need to get something like that too...

Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur

Originally Posted by harleytech
Maybe try an FM amp of some kind...Something that plugs inbetween the radio and antenna..I need to get something like that too...
Yeah, I tried a couple things.. The amps just increased the gain which made it worse, so I tried to put a line filter on that and started getting alternator whine in the speakers.. which is weird because neither the antenna or power for the amp are anywhere remotely close to it..

I thought about getting one of thsoe short nubby antennas just to see if it would work any better/worse.. Not sure whats makes those so special, not really wanting to put a like 4-ft whip on the back. lol

Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
harleytech
Rookie
Wink

Yeah, I hear ya'...

Quick Reply: New Speakers in my 02' Durango...