1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Multiple electrical items out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
jon_s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple electrical items out!

2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 (eng? Smaller of the two options I think)

The following items went out at the same time.

Horn, Radio, Pwr Mirror, Dome light, Aux Pwr plugs (sig lighter works) and OBD II reader unable to connect. Other items that I can easily/visually check work. All lights/gauges necessary to drive appear to work. The following is what I was able to read at the fuse panels.

Horn - P
Radio - P
Pwr Mirror - NP
Dome light - F
Aux Pwr plugs (sig lighter works) - ?
OBD II reader unable to connect. - ?
------------------------------------------
P=Has Pwr
N=Has No Pwr
F=Fuse is out and blows replacement fuse
?=did not identify locate fuse but there was one additional fuse labeled 20A PWR OUT (which also blows replacement fuses) that may be the Aux Pwr plugs.

When these all went out there was a very strong smell of an electrical short.

I’ve opened up the Central Timer Module and found no evidence of anything wrong and it passed the sniff test. The smell in the vehicle is nearly gone but I suspect that what ever burned up would still carry the smell if I got close enough to it.

I’m trying to avoid the dealer as they want $100 minimum to look at it and scratch their head.

Any directions would be appreciated. My current plan is to follow up with the two fuses that were shorted.

Second advice request is what would be a good manual to buy for this and future maintenance?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM
jmess
Veteran

If the smell is inside the truck I would look under the dash on the drivers side. Especially at the fuse box. Check your grounds. Make sure there are no exposed wires ext.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

go to the FAQ thread at the top of the forum index and download the 2002 factory service manual, the wiring diagrams hsould match pretty close for you.

the fuse for the power outlet in the console and in the rear of the truck is located in the PDC under the hood, check for any blown fuses there too.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to nail down the short!

The short is causing the system havoc!

Remove the fuses and using a multi-meter and find the short.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 AM
kathycole
Default power windows

I just bought a 2001 dodge durango slt 4 wheel drive and I have two questions that I need help on. If anybody can help. All my windown go up and down but only by driver door window controls. no other door can let windows go up or down by there window control unit. I made sure the window lock was not in the lock position. Can it still be a fuse that is causing it althou the driver side control can make all the windown go up and down. and if not can the driver side control be bad althou as I said above the driver side can make all the windowns go up and down. again if not what else can make that happen. Please help if you can. The other question I have is my cruise control does not work when you apply the set button. The light comes on in the dash to let you know the unit is turned on. But thats it. Does anybody know what I can do to see why it will not work. I checked to see if there was a fuse for it to see if it is blown but on the 2 fuse box pannel lid, it does not say what fuse is for the cruise control. Please help if you can.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1) you should really have started a new thread for your issues as they are different then the ones referenced here however here goes

the window issue is the master control panel in the drivers side door, replace this switch panel and the other windows should work again

as for the cruise control it could be vacuum leak under the hood check the lines going to the cc controler

Quick Reply: Multiple electrical items out!