1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

air counditioner quit, AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 PM
jamesrountree3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down air counditioner quit, AGAIN.

my air conditioner has been going out and coming back for a few months now. i have re-charged it a few times but it says that it is full. the heater works but not the air.. i have 4 small kids and cannot afford to put a new one in or have it fixed. can anyone help or walk me through possible solutions? thank you

Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 PM
msmith5150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with my 01 Ram's A/C, it would blow cold for a short time then wouldn't work at all. Looking at the clutch on the compressor most of the time it appeared to be engaging fine. I read something about it, either here or somewhere else I don't recall, but the problem was the clutch was getting hot and it would start to slip on the pulley and not work very well.

Assuming it had not been done before, the solution was pretty simple. Remove the nut holding the friction disc on the clutch and pull off that disc and remove the little shim, reinstall and the a/c ran great. Now of course this is not a permanent fix since eventually it will continue to wear then you'll need to replace the compressor.

This could be your issue. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is possible your freon is comtaminated with moisture. Moisture will freeze up around the themostat control valve causing it to freeze up and restrict flow of freon. If you turn off the A/C system for about 10 minutes to let the moisture thaw out, the A/C will work again until the moisture freezes up again.

Only solution to this problem is take it to a A/C place to have your system evacuated to remove the moisture and then refill with fresh clean freon.

Quick Reply: air counditioner quit, AGAIN.