Print Wikipost

Smoke from rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from rear end.

Hey all, haven't been on for quite awhile.

I've got a 99D. Yesterday I scored a free ShopVac on craigslist and had about a 20 minute drive to go pick it up. Smelled hot metal on the way, but figured (hoped) that it was one of the other cars around me. Usually is, but I didn't get so lucky this time. When I got to the house I was going to I looked back and saw smoke rising from the right rear corner. Got out and looked underneath and the smoke was rolling out from inside the brake drum.

This morning once I had some daylight I started digging in. Differential fluid was low. Got that refilled. Pulled the tire, the brake drum miraculously came right off (that NEVER happens for me). Brakes were not binding. Pads aren't new by any means but still have a good amount of life left. LOTS of oily/greasy/dirty crud all over, including a few spots on the pad surfaces.

Don't seem to have any up and down or side to side play in the axle. Small amount in and out.

At this point I'm stumped as to how to proceed. I'm thinking I probably need to replace the axle seal. Maybe brake cylinder.

Time and money are both tight for the next few weeks, so I can't afford to be buying unnecessary parts. Thought I'd run it by you guys and see if the experts can send me down the right track.

For now my next step is a test drive at highway speeds to see if the problem is still there and if the diff lube level stays where it is. All seems fine at in-town speeds.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Magnum4406
Professional

If the axle seal is leaking you should have a strong smell of rear end lube....which I would guess it is or you probably would have lost your brakes/brake fluid. The axle seal doesn't cost much...but you will have to pull the rear end cover, the little spider gear shaft bolt,the spider gear shaft, push the axle in remove the c-clip and pull the axle out. Replace the seal and reassemble. It is really pretty simple to do, you will need some rear end lube and silicone for the rear end cover. Oh and a seal

Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe a rear wheel axle bearing.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah sounds to me like it is a combination of a leaking axle seal and a wheel bearing going out creating friction and heating up that fluid. Also, make sure that wheel cylinder isn't leaking!

Quick Reply: Smoke from rear end.