1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Been sputtering for years!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been sputtering for years!

My 1999 Durango SLT with the 5.2 with 247,xxx miles on it has been sputtering for years. I will be cruising down the road and feel it loose power then it starts to jerk like its trying to go but it cant and it keeps slowing down. I react by putting the gas pedal to the floor and then it catches up and accelerates like it should. It may drive fine after that or I may have to floor it a couple of times to get it to stop sputtering. The other day I was cruizing 55 and it jerked back a little like I hit the gas, it did this 2 or 3 times i dont know if this is related to the problem or not. While the D is idling it has a knock to it its not loud or scary but just a knock loud enough to hear inside the truck. Again not sure if this problem is related to the sputtering issue.

I recently did a tune up to try to fix the issue including: Spark plugs, wires, Distributer cap, rotor button, cleaned the pcv valve and hose, air filter, engine oil and filter.

Then about a month later the fuel pump went out so I replaced the pump and screen.

its been sputtering for years, it used to knock real loud everytime it would sputter but that went away, now it just sputters randomly when driving and knocks when its idling. HELP! THANKS!...Injectors?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the Coil and/or Governor Pressure Solenoid

Let us know!

IndyD

Old 03-18-2012, 04:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on the coil, not sure on the Governor Pressure Solenoid however.

I'm thinking more of a TPS issue and a coil.

Also one last thing you can try is put a bag of ice on the PCM and take it for a drive. If it stops acting up then replace your PCM. The 1999's have a problem with their PCM's getting too warm and they like to drop out (not work).

Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, next time im at the parts store i will pick up a coil, and TPS and ill let yall know how it works out. I would try the bag of ice on the pcm but like i said it doesnt do it all the time it could go a month without sputtering, and one day I think I may not make it home.

I have had a few people tell me it may be the TPS, also when I replaced the plug wires the coil wire was hard as a rock and was burnt through the inculation in a few spots from the exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply: Been sputtering for years!