1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ac removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac removal

in my 98 durango. my ac doesnt work. heck i never use the ac any ways i live in western ny. my idea of ac is 55mph with the window down. i wanted to ask is it ok if i completely remove my ac pump and the ac cooler in front and all the lines. or is it going to effect the truck somehow. like electircaly or is there any vacume lines that ill need to plug? cuz i know by removing the ac pump you eliminate some drag on your pullys and free up a few extra ponies. i know ill need to get the shortened belt which i need a new one anyways.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

nop, you should be just fine to pull it out if you dont want it/dont use it, just get the shorter belt and pull it out, the only piece that give you any gain tho is the a/c compressor so if it were me i would just buy the shorter belt and bypass the a/c and leave it at that in case i changed my mind later on down the road id still have everything i needed to get it working again.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 PM
krupaeric
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok but im still going to remove the ac compressor. its just a few bolts and ill tie back all the hoses if possible. but like i said i never have used ac in any of my vehicles. well i did when i lived in west palm fl. but thats a whole different story. lol.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can either completely remove it and install a shorter belt, or you can install a dummy pulley set up which includes a pulley/bearing and framework that bolts in place of the compressor. If you look under the hood there is label that shows the belt routing with/without the A/C.

Quick Reply: ac removal