1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Kelvin A. Williams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Durango Transmission Problem

Hello everyone
I have a 1999 dodge durango 5.2 liter and sadly I cant tell what transmission I have.
My power train is having some issues, It will drive fine going into first and then into second but when in third it gets stuck and my engine rpms go up, and then as my rpm go higher the truck picks up speed, once I noticed this I checked the fluid and it was full and clean and at first there where bubbles once it cooled off no bubbles. When I go into reverse it feels like I ran over something backing up.... Now as I test drive there Is a Popping noise Like a stick hitting a drum as im driving and the faster I go the louder the pop I wanna repair this.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You have a 44RE transmission.

You have to check the fluid when it is hot and the truck is running and in Neutral. Faoming is usually caused buy lack of fluid or over filled fuid/incorrect fluid. I would first follow your owners manual and check the fluid in Neutral with engine running and after all gears are sifted at least 2 seconds between each shift.

Also only use ATF+4 fluid in that truck! And no the mechanics use a multi-vehicle fluid, which is not the same thing. You HAVE to use the correct fluid which is ATF+4.

Quick Reply: Durango Transmission Problem