1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Loud Roaring noise from 45-65

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 AM
LuckySJV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Roaring noise from 45-65

Hey ya'll I'm new to the forum here and am in desperate need of some guidance! I do all of my own work on my Dodge Durango but am not a mechanic by any means (Haynes manual and determination can get you far). I love the way it rides and it sounds and looks especially and I really wanna fix this problem before I do more damage but I can't figure out this issue. First for my Durango, it is a:

1999 Dodge Durango 5.9L v8 Magnum 4x4 with 168000 miles on it

Now for the issue. It just recently started about 3 weeks ago, what happens is when i hit the 45-47 mph range i down shifts down to 1400 RPM and then as i accelerate towards 65-68 the RPMs go up 1900 but by the time it gets there, there is an EXTREMELY loud roar from seemingly the rear of the car, as in i cant even hear the engine running if I have the windows down. It gets progressively louder as it approaches 65 and doesn't seem to really be straining to get there necessarily but when it firsts shifts down when i hit 45 it feels very weak. The transmission was replaced at 90,000 miles. This weak feeling at 45 has been there a while but i could just get around it by letting my foot quickly and putting it back down it goes right past it. But this new noise worries me. After i get past 68 by the way it just goes away, doesn't shift it just dissipates between 68-70 and runs smooth. But it always has the loud roar in the MPH range. If i step on it at 43 it'll up shift get to about 55-57 then the roar starts up.

Please help!! I cant afford a new transmission right now so any cheaper possibilities or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

FYI also the roar didn't start until after I went to get the car inspected (I live in NY). I don't know if this is coincidence or not but I don't know what they could have done or bumped to cause this to happen but the day after is when I started noticing it.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:46 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure, but you could check the governor pressure solenoid. Look that up in your manual and check back with us.

IndyDurango

Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a bearing. It's really hard to tell from over the net .

Old 06-02-2012, 02:25 PM
LuckySJV

Well I crawled under and start looking around and the back end and didn't really see anything popping out to me that looked like a problem so I went up to the front and just to take a look and I'm pretty sure there is an issue with my transfer case. I made a tumblr just to post these pics to link to.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...kido1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...kido1_1280.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the entire problem but im pretty sure this needs to be taken care of before I can really look into anything else. Let me know what you think, am I mistaken that it's not supposed to look like that?? And isn't it probably just a seal? Possibly something I could do with out taking it to a shop?

And keep in mind that everything else on the truck is dry also its just this that looks like that

Last edited by LuckySJV; 06-02-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you need to check the fluid level in the t-case and confirm that is where it is coming from (i agree it is the most likely culprit at this point), and you also need to figure out where it is coming out of the case in order to determine how to fix it.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

That center gasket is shot!!!!!!!!!!

Most likely the fluid is dry and you have a T-case bearing going out. Also in one photo I can see your U-joint (Double Cardan Joint) and it looks like the pilot bearing in the center looks slightly metalic, and if it is you need a new Double Cardan Joint.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
LuckySJV

Do you recommend me possibly just looking into getting a new transfer case if the barings are possibly going bad?

Quick Reply: Loud Roaring noise from 45-65