1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cchamp
Little bit of belt squealing when the car is just starting but nothing over the top. Car has actually been running really really well the past year. I'll do the below (when it stops raining). How tough is it to pull the thermostat? I'm a mechanical layman. Any tools needed other than what is found in a typical non-auto tool box?

Just a socket set.. there's 2 bolts holding it on.. you will also need a new gasket or a tube of high temp RTV to seal it back up

Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
cchamp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove it home from work last night (20 minute ride consisting of highway, slow driving, and some stop lights) and it ran perfectly. Let it idle in my driveway for 5 minutes and it didn't tack over 210 the entire time. I'm at a loss.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Originally Posted by cchamp
Little bit of belt squealing when the car is just starting but nothing over the top. Car has actually been running really really well the past year. I'll do the below (when it stops raining). How tough is it to pull the thermostat? I'm a mechanical layman. Any tools needed other than what is found in a typical non-auto tool box?

If the belt is starting to squeal then your belt needs to be replaced or your tensioner is taking a crap

Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "belt squealing sound" doesn't mean its the belt, could be his water pump as it was mine, only found out when I went to go change the belt, and antifreeze went everywhere when I loosened the belt, the bearings were gone!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM
cchamp

So the car ran perfectly all weekend. It was pretty hot and I blasted the AC just to test it and it never looked off. I'm begining to think I'm in the clear...am I being lulled into a false sense of security? Is there any chance the weather that day could have played a role? It was basically a monsoon- water all over the roads.

Quick Reply: Overheating