1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 Dodge Durango Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Jeepster95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dodge Durango Issues.

ok, first off, i enjoy this forum, and I like my Durango, Weve owned it for 8 yrs and it has been VERY reliable up until the last 2 months. In fact I drove it from Detroit area to Chicago on memorial day weekend and got about 20mpg. with it, It made the drive no problems until the return trip. About 15 minutes from home the TPS went bad no big deal I pulled into Autozone and replaced it. Ran fine, the rest of the way home.

Now the fun part, For the last year or so this vehicle has the crank over but hard start issue, somtimes it will crank for 10-15 seconds before it starts, somtimes it starts as soon as you hit the key, ive replaced the IAC,TPS, Timing Chain, Battery, Crank sensor,Cam Synch Sensor, Ive cleaned the grounds etc... When I replace/Clean somthing it always works for a day or two then back to the same issue. When it starts you can smell fuel, like it flooded.the whole time ive checked fuel pressure its around 45psi.

Now recently I have started getting po325/po720 codes input circuit failure, I replaced both the input/output sensors and the vehicle speed sensor, didnt help so i cleaned the grounds unplugged and cleaned the TCU , this helped for about 4 days then it threw the same codes again, but now it stalls when the codes hit.
When the durango stalls I have to wait about 30 to 45 minutes to before it will start then, runs really bad.
Im at the end of my rope with this thing, I have read all the posts availible, this is where ive gotten my ideas on what to look at but nobody seems to post if theirs is fixed or still doing it, I can get a used ECM for $40 but im out of money. I have had it at 3 different shops plus all my time and still no solutions.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. Sorry for the long post.
Dennis

Old 07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepster95
Now recently I have started getting po325/po720 codes input circuit failure, I replaced both the input/output sensors and the vehicle speed sensor, didnt help so i cleaned the grounds unplugged and cleaned the TCU , this helped for about 4 days then it threw the same codes again, but now it stalls when the codes hit.

First off, did you do all of the above at the same time or in steps?

Two things of significance that catch my eye. You listed all symptoms and things you have done but when you unplugged and cleaned the TCU the symptoms changed dramatically in the way that it now stall instead of prior symptoms.

This tells me that whatever is failing may have been affected by something you did and it was affected in a bad way...like breaking a piece of glass that's already cracked.

The TCU seems to be, unless I'm misreading what you did at the same time, the cause and it doesn't appear you've replaced it have you?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
TravisN.
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
First off, did you do all of the above at the same time or in steps?

Two things of significance that catch my eye. You listed all symptoms and things you have done but when you unplugged and cleaned the TCU the symptoms changed dramatically in the way that it now stall instead of prior symptoms.

This tells me that whatever is failing may have been affected by something you did and it was affected in a bad way...like breaking a piece of glass that's already cracked.

The TCU seems to be, unless I'm misreading what you did at the same time, the cause and it doesn't appear you've replaced it have you?
I agree, sounds like the TCM is going bad.

Quick Reply: 02 Dodge Durango Issues.