1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

cylinder #1 misfire p0301 headache ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
nmyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
personally i wouldnt trust sensors i found in the junkyard
I would have to agree here... I tried a junkyard O2 sensor once. I asked for one for an ex's Pontiac 3800... The first trip they gave me the wrong bank sensor, so it woudn't connect to the harness, and they exchanged it for the right one... But the right was then failed, and since there are no refunds at a junkyard, I ended up making a third trip to NAPA to get one... So I spent more in gas and failed trips to the junkyard than I would've had I started at NAPA first.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

If I go the cheap way and get sensors from the junkyard, depending on which one, I take my ohm-meter with me and check to see if the impedance is within specs. I've bought a few that way, and had ok luck..maybe 3 out of 8 lasted more than a year...never buy O2 sensors off junk cars...bad idea..lol

Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

buying ANY sensors off a junk car is a bad idea

Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Compression Testing Instructions

Could be a bad crank sensor, passenger side back of motor on that one.

Personally I would take it for a nice hard drive and blow it out real good. Might just be a sticky valve.

+1 on the compression test.

Compression Testing Instructions:

To do it you first run the motor to full operational temp. Then you push the throttle to full open using a piece of wood or whatever. Then you remove the coil spark wire. Now remove #1 plug and insert the compression tester. Now turn the motor over and it will log the highest PSI. Write it down and press the little button to the side to release the stored PSI. Replace the plug and move to #2 and so on. Make sure you write down each test numbers!!!

To do a wet test you first take a regular test, then you remove the tester and place about 1-2 small cap fulls of fresh oil down the cylinder using a small funnel through the spark plug hole, then re-do the compression test and write down the number, then move on.

A wet test can show you if you have worn rings because the PSI will be quite a bit higher. So if the PSI is the same then you have a head issue, and if the PSI is higher it is usually a ring issue.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
computergod

ok so i think it will rain today so i will not being doing the compression test unless it clears up but i doubt it maybe next weekend. yesterday i did go to the junkyard and picked up a piece of window trim for the rear hatch glass (mine was rusted) and i also just grabed a decent #1 sparkplug wire and when i got home i threw that junkyard wire on the D and boom it is running very good, but wait theres more a few days ago i was at work and it started to rain so i seen a big empty parking lot and decided i would do a couple of doughnuts an blowout the engine real good and it did work the D was running a little bit better. so i dont know if blowing out the motor or changing the sparkplug wire fixed it i guess time will tell. i still want to do a compression test and i will as soon as i can. i thank everyone here for helping.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM
tonyb1987

I had the same problem with my 5.2. I replaced ALMOST everything that I thought would be causing this issue....then I talked to my buddy who is the service manager at my local Dodge Dealer and he told me to replace the o2 sensor(even tho no code showed up. I did this....BOOM...problem solved. try this with a NEW o2 sensor. my bank 1 sensor 1 only cost me 50 bucks from Advance auto.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
computergod

update: today i picked up the durango from the shop. i had them install a NGK 02 sensor upstream it costed me a total of $127.00 and reset the computer but just as i thought no change in idle or the misfires. the mechanic whom i trust told me that changing the 02 sensor would not fix this problem but based on my research here on the forum i decided i would do it anyway. as much as i love the body style and power of my durango R/T i have come to hate HATE this vehicle!!! i have made one of the worst buying decisions of my life and i have been through about 20 vehicles in my lifetime so thats saying a lot! i just cant stand this anymore! and yes i am yelling at myself not you guys. i have always been a chevy guy and now i know why my luck with dodge has been nothing short of a nightmare i just dont know how they stay in business..... i will get this problem fixed and i will sell this vehicle for a huge huge loss. i will never ever buy anything dodge or chrysler again. i bought this truck so i could get out of car payments but i am learning quickly,OLD = headaches.. i am going to get me a newer car and just get the extended warranty and be done with all this Bul** sh** i wish you guys well with your "babies" and i understand your love but my love has turned to HATE!!!!!!!

Last edited by computergod; 08-17-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: cylinder #1 misfire p0301 headache ouch!