1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front pinion seal.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pinion seal.

Well the time has come to replace the front pinion seal on the D. Its been slowly leaking for a while but since the driveshaft bit the dust again it hammered the seal bad and now i cant keep fluid in it to save my life. Any tips or tricks i need to know about? I have done a few rear pinions but never a front but shouldnt be any different would it? Thanks for any input.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Well got it done without any major issues. For those that say you can drive them without the front driveshaft someone needs to explain how I could roll it off the ramps while in park without the driveshaft bolted in

Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
cummingetit
Professional

T case in neutral? I have personally driven without the front shaft before. Have driven without the rear shaft before on a s10 blazer, i assume i could do it in my d as well

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you have a 4x4 you should have no problems, however if you do not have 4wd engaged you will have rolling issues (awd or 4x4 full time will NOT lock the driveline and you could have this rolling in park issue)

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
if you have a 4x4 you should have no problems, however if you do not have 4wd engaged you will have rolling issues (awd or 4x4 full time will NOT lock the driveline and you could have this rolling in park issue)
Exactly on my D i dont have a 2wd option it awd or 4 hi and 4 low. I got into a bit of an argument with some on here last year over that when the front driveshaft went bad and without it the druck was dead where she sat. A few swore up and down that i can drive it and that i ama retard and shouldnt be fixing anything. On the plus side i have my 5 year old son with me and he had fun getting dirty and "fixin mommas truck" thats all he talked about the rest of the day

Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you put your truck in 4x4 hi you should have been able to drive it with not problems, however in AWD having a driveshaft out will behave as if both tires on that end where on ice and you wont be able to move.

Quick Reply: Front pinion seal.