1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Signal light Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 AM
jgonebye2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signal light Fix

The problem : All brake lights work, reverse lights work, two front signals work, right signal blinking rapidily, driver side tail light signals works, but not the passenger side tail light, all bulbs are new, turn signal new, combination flasher is new, and all fuses are new,also discovered license plate bulb blown and socket with corrosion. Still only three signal lights working on durango.

The Solution : traced wire from wire harness on passenger side, to under the bumper, then above the muffler end, although the tape was melted that covers the wires, the wires weren't burned or damaged, I continued tracing,...on my used 2001 durango, someone left the trailer connector ground wire hooked to the tail lights ground wire, it was barely connected (one strand of wire was connected to a few strands of wire ) along with that, the wire that goes to my tail light, along the bumper, was broken into two corroded pieces. This is why I had the right rear signal problem and the right front signal blinking really fast. The license plate bulb had nothing to do with this, because I haven't changed it yet. I had an old non working dvd player, with 18 awg wire on it, I cut it and splice the wires on both ends, measured it to be long enough to join the broken wires together, I disconnected the battey and put the emergency brake on, to be safe.I disconnected the ground wire from the trailer harness, I then cut off the corroded ends of the damaged tail light wires, spliced the ends further up, sprayed with electric grease,and twisted the piece of 18awg wire to each broken end creating one wire. clamped them off with an electric terminal cap screw, neatly aligned the wires and retaped them with electric tape,grasped the trailer connector and sprayed all the wires, capped them off and wrapped them with electric tape and bound them in the trailer harness housing ( I have no need of a trailer harness for now ) I continued by adding a piece of the 18awg wire to the ground wire to extend it, I got a screw with a bolt, found a hole in the, durango's frame (up behind the license plate underneath the car) sprayed the ground wire with the grease, wrapped it around the greased screw, clean the frame part with electric cleaner, sprayed the frame with the grease, inserted the wire wrapped screw into the hole and tightened the bolt. I took the remaining 3 wires which someone had spliced, cleaned them with electric spray, sprayed them with electric grease and capped them individually off. I then secured the wires with a tie down to the frame behind the bumper. Reconnected battery, unlocked the emergency brakes, turned the car on, turned the lights on, left signals , right signals also. four signals and emergency flasher works, took the durango for a 15 minute ride and every thing is great,...will be buying my license plate bulb tomorrow and maybe the harness if needed. Also will make sure to properly secure the wires with added protective tape, because I have finished this job at night time.
Saturday, August 25, 2012

Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

nice to see everything worked out for you

Old 08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
jgonebye2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left out the part to whereas,..it took me three weeks searching the internet for answers,..for my 2001 Durango rt, 4x4 clear coated black.
Thanks a lot for reading." Love my Durango"!

Last edited by jgonebye2; 08-26-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: associating model of my dodge

Quick Reply: Signal light Fix