1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 durango overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
henryb1957
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 durango overheating

My daughter has a 2001 Durango with automatic and air conditioning. Not sure of the engine size but it is an 8 cylinder. A few weeks ago the radiator developed a huge leak and had to be replaced with a new one. After that it has started to run hot after a few hours of runtime. It doesnt do it all the time but most times it does. I have checked the thermostat and it is good. I did notice that the electric fan is not running. I was wondering if this would cause it to run hot or if may be something else. The oil isnt milky and there is no anti freeze smell when it is running. She said she had to add water once since the radiator was replaced. IT looked like maybe some anti freeze had come out of the overflow pipe but I'm not sure. What do I need to do Please help.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the engine size very much so matters in this case so check the sticker under the hood to figure it out

alternatively answer us some questions and we can determine it

is there a distributor cap on the back of the engine up against the firewall?
is the air hat on top of the engine round or square?
where the top radiator hose meets the block is there a squared connector with an allen key bolt in it?

if you have the 4.7 it sounds to me like the system has not been burped, a weak electric would cause it to r un a little bit warmer but not to overheat completely unless the clutch fan was also bad (unlikely for both to be bad)

Quick Reply: 2001 durango overheating