1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake upgrade

Is the 2003 caliper upgrade really worth it? I have a stripped caliper bolt hole, which I used an oversized bolt to secure the caliper. I'm trying to decide whether to install time inserts or do the upgrade. If I do the inserts, I'll be doing all four to help prevent this problem from happening again. I understand to do the upgrade I need the following; 2003 Durango 4x4 calipers, caliper brackets, rotors, brake pads and steering knuckle.
I haven't gotten much response on my question in the various forums I posted in. From what I can find, I need just the calipers, banjo bolts, brackets and knuckles. I can use my original control arms, ball joints and bearings. I'm going to the pick n pull this weekend to pick up these items and prep them for install. I'll start off with AZ rotors/pads, then upgrade when they wear out.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted at the DOC but with the server crash, not sure it was still there.

Is the stopping better? Yes. Is it worth the real trouble? I don't think so. Also I think the best result is actually a whole rear axle swap.

With all that said, I have done it. Mine was all mods to the stocker setup in all 4 corners.

IndyD

Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the caliper upgrade is not worth it just because of a stripped out bolt, just use the larger bolt or helicoil the stripped hole and keep going

now if you do ALOT Of towing and are concerned that is a different story

Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you what was worth it...installing 2003 rear discs on my 1998 which had read drums.

It wasn't a simple bolt on though, since I had to move the backing plate / caliper mounting flange inward 3/4"...but once I did that, it was glorious.

Quick Reply: brake upgrade