1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P1740 Code & Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Magda7290
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1740 Code & Transmission Issues

Well I have done a lot of reading on here about the P1740 code and my mechanic suggested the common $400+ fix of replacing the TCC case and the two solenoids. However, he stated from experience that this normally has not been fixing the problem and he suggests that before dropping the $400+ on a temporary or hopeful fix that I should either drive it until I cant no more or drop the 2 grand in a new transmission.

With that said, aside from the P1740 code, the only issues I have experienced with the performance of my truck is hesitation and occasional slipping between first and second gears. There also was a slight issue with the third and fourth gears, but that appears to be common with these transmissions.

In addition, I have had numerous cooling problems with the truck, leading me to believe there is a heater core issue. WHen I start the truck in the morning, it sounds like a waterfall under my hood. I get the sweet smell when its running hot in the summer and the fan is always running high as my temperature gauge is running near hot, but usually will cool down no issue with the fan.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do here with the truck. Sell it; fix it; or ride it out. The cooling issue has been going on for almost 3 years+, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm more or less looking for advice on the P1740 code and what I should do with it. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it kind of hard to help you without knowing what we are working on, there are 3 different engines available over a 6 year range with 3 different transmissions and a number of different transfer cases, all of which need to be approached in their own way.

so provide us with the following information and we will do our best to help you

1) year
2) engine
3) driveline (4x4 or 2wd)
4) transmission (if youdont know answer everything else and we will help with this one)

im not sure if tcc is supposed to be tccm (transfer case control module) or TCM (Transmission control module), however based on that term i am guessing you have a 2000-2003 truck.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Magda7290
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I thought all that stuff was posted under my user name. My Durango is a 2000 5.9L V8, roughly 94k miles on it, 4WD and I believe it is the 48E transmission.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok so we you dont have a TCM in your truck so that cannot be the problem.

the 5.9l engine came with the 46RE transmission

as for addressing the hesitation and slipping i would start with the following items
1) adjust the tv cable (kickdown cable)
2) fluid and filter change (atf+4 fluid ONLY)
3) adjust the bands

as for the code
P1740 TCC or O/D Solenoid Perf
this is your overdrive control so that is the only gear that would be affected by w/e threw this code. you can replace the tc solenoid or you can do everything above and reset the PCM first and see if it takes care of the problem, sometimes fresh fluid and filter will take care of issues.

now onto the overheating problem, if it only heats up while sitting still i would say it is a fan issue, either a bad clutch fan or a bad electric fan, if it is happening while you are driving it could be partially clogged radiator or a stuck thermostat.

the coolant smell in the cab is definitely a bad heater core i would suggest taking care of that so you can narrow down the running hot issue

Quick Reply: P1740 Code & Transmission Issues