1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another thread on rough idle, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Gafn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil is normal in color - not water...

I am losing a lot of water - I have bubbling in the upper radiator hose and the overflow tank. I assume it is getting air and flash boiling - I have seen steam exiting the overflow tank overflow.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 AM
cummingetit
Professional

By your last post it sounds like a leaky head gasket or cracked head. You may not be getting water in your oil but it is going somewhere. Have you ever smelled a sweet smell from your exhaust? Or pulled your plugs to check for discoloration?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Gafn

I have not pulled the plugs yet - but yes I have smelled the antifreeze - and when ever I stop I hear bubbles and boiling and see the overflow steaming...

I bought this a month ago - it has 218K on it - the Car lot said it had a 80K motor put it in a few week before I bought it... I am starting to think that I was handed the standard line of BS.... I really bought it because the interior is perfect.

I woudl love to drop a SBC or a small diesel into this thing and not put any more dodge engines under the hood, well except maybe a 4.0l straight six from an older jeep... now that was a nice engine...

This 4.7l seems to be too delicate, I have seen my fathers company run small block chevy's into the 300k range without any head gasket issues... and these are loaded work trucks...

Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i wouldnt consider the 4.7 delicate, its another engine built off what was learned from the magnum lineup which is a line of engines known to regularly break the 300k mile mark, it seems that you bought one which has been seriously neglected which i dont know of any engines which will last through that kind of abuse

Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 AM
1rddak

My truck had similar symptoms. In fact I tried dozens of things. First I had a no start- checked for the corroded wires by battery etc. It would start if left for a day or so but run rough, backfire, stutter and die or slow down and die. No codes. Changed CPS and several other sensors. Cleaned IAC, it was filthy but did not fix problem. Computer was fairly new. Got a handful of used sensors, changed one by one. My brand new CPS was faulty right out of the box. Runs like a new one now. Investigated and found out that a lot of Autozone and aftermarket CPS units have been known to be bad right out of the box so if any of you have similar backfiring, rough running, stalling, try switching out that CPS AGAIN.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

and go with a MOPAR sensor, these trucks have been shown to be picky about that lately, either that or aftermarket sensors have just gone way down in quality lately (that seems more likely to me)

Quick Reply: Another thread on rough idle, stalling