1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coolant bubbling/boiling

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cummingetit
I have seen this before but not quite that bad. I wish i could say i know for sure but once again i was "told" that those oil caps don't seal well to the tube and as the cool they pull in moisture on say rainy days, and it makes that mess. Don't quote me its just one of those heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy stories.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

the milk slime in the top of the oil fill cap is from moisture in the crank case hating up and condensing on there without a long enough run to boil all the way out of the system(it is aggravated by making alot of short trips >10 miles or so in the cold weather). It is not caused by a bad seal, however is moisture related, and is not something worth worrying about most of the time. However that picture is a very extreme case, iv never seen it get that bad before.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM
s00s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another update.

First off, I must say I resist giving in to the idea that I have a blown head gasket.

But anyway -- I cleaned the yellow gunk out the oil filler and cap, ran my Dodge for about 20 miles until it began overheating. I turned on my heater to see if hot air would blow, but as I suspected, it didn't. I left it on for about ten minutes, but all it blew was cold air. Now, based on some brief researching I did online, the overheating issue should lie on air in the cooling system, thermostat not opening or working properly, or plugged radiator. Again, the head gasket could also be one of the more serious causes.

What do you guys think?

Questions:

Are there any guides on how to bleed the cooling system on the 00' Dodge Durango?

And/or

How to flush the radiator?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 AM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4.7 has a bleed screw in the neck of the top hose where it comes out of the motor. I cracked mine when i filled it then periodically opened it just to make sure i got every last bubble. To flush mine i just kept running water from the bottom hose until it came out the top then through the top hose down. Did that a couple times till i was satisfied with the clear water. Id back flush your heater core also since it is only 2 clamps. I use a garden hose repair end that screws on to your faucet. Just screw it on to the end of your hose and it slips right into the heater hoses

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: Coolant bubbling/boiling