1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New headlight/HID/LED taillight recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM
sp360d
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headlight/HID/LED taillight recommendations

Anyone know of a good/reputable company to purchase aftermarket headlights/hid kits and led tail lights for our 99 durangos. Price isnt a factor to me. Not looking for the blueish,bright as hell HID lights...just an HID white light that looks as close to the new car lighting that is out there today.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought these dual low/hi HID's from ebay. I hope to get these installed in the next couple days. Will post pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250947225302...84.m1423.l2649

Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I wouldn't buy those vvme ones. I put in a pair of hid projectors and used vvme bulbs and ballasts. First the bulbs went bad and had to get them to replace them. Now the ballasts aren't working properly and I'm having to fight with them to get them replaced. They're trying to tell me that I have to pay to have them ship a replacement one, and I'm about to have to open a paypal case with them, so I would highly suggest avoiding them.

As for the hid bulbs, the bluer ones are actually dimmer. 4300k is the brightest light there is (all oem hids are 4300k) and 5000k is the whitest, while being slightly dimmer.

Dropping in hid bulbs isn't going to give you a wider beam pattern either. You'll get a bit more throw down the road, but this will come at the cost of increased glare to other drivers. In general it's not good to put hid bulbs into halogen housings, but due to the design of the oem headlights on our trucks the glare to other drivers isn't that bad. To get the most usable light from hids you need to use hid projectors.

Last edited by that_guy; 11-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, now you are jinxing me! I have been researching and trying to get some reviews on some of these dual hid equipment and seems that VVME seems to be pretty good compared to some of the others out there. Oh well, at least I did not spend much on these. Was able to use a ebay coupon to bring the price down to $68 for this kit. Hope they work well.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not sure about the bulbs from them. The first set that I had them replace thinking they were bad may have actually been the ballasts. I got a pair of different good ballasts and the other pair of bulbs I had (not vvme), which had a weird hotspot with the vvme ballasts, look fine with them. Their ballasts seem to be the weak point, they give the bulbs a weird color, and the one would flicker every time I hit a bump.

The worst part isn't even the products, their customer service is absolutely $hit, if it even deserves to be service. They're absolutely refusing to replace the ballasts unless I pay them $50 for return shipping (for them to send me the replacement ballasts from CA), which is more than I paid for the entire kit with shipping in the first place.

I've already filed a complaint with the better business bureau about them, and unsurprisingly they have an F rating with multiple complaints about them not honoring their warranties, or asking for more money for shipping and then saying they didn't get the money or something like that. Paypal has also recommended that I file charges through the internet crime complaint center (some division of the fbi or something).

Not trying to jynx you or anything, that's just how it is with them.

Quick Reply: New headlight/HID/LED taillight recommendations