Check Engine & Oil Light Intermittent After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:18 PM
fabes253
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine & Oil Light Intermittent After Oil Change

Hey all,

Ok so I moved to a new city and for the sake of saving time because I am still getting situated I took my 2003 Durango down to one of the local Grease Monkey for a quick oil change.

Now of course while I was waiting, one of the guys comes walking in holding a piece of plastic and instructed me this was a valve (i dont remember what valve but some kind of valve) that needed to be replaced and they would do it for $15.00. First I was kinda shocked because I simply asked for ONLY an oil change. Reluctantly I agreed for the sake of avoid having any disgruntled person working on my Durango. I left all is good.

Well a couple weeks later I get a check engine light, so I head down to Auto Zone to have them check the codes for me, I get Code P0441. They said it could be from the gas cap being faulty. So I made sure it was tight and the light was still on so I ordered a gas cap. When I got the gas cap, replaced it, the light stayed on...

Then a day later my oil light came on. Now I am starting to think Grease Monkey EFFED something up. I got out and immediately checked my oil. It was clear and full.. I reinserted the dipstick and restarted the Durango and now my Check Engine light and Oil Light are both gone.

Now every day the oil light goes in and out, typically when Im starting to drive for the first time for the day it comes on, if I turn off the Durango and restart it goes away. I watch the oil pressure gauge it seems normal. This is frustrating and I want to get this taken care of soon before the dead of winter gets here. Please experts help me!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the 0441 is an evap leak, usually a bad gas cap or cracked hose in the system, a very minor issue that i would suggest ignoring for now until you figure out the oil light issue.

the oil light is a low pressure light i expect, there is one reason it would come on, the PCM thinks your oil pressure is low

there are several reasons this might happen
1) bad oil pressure sensor (this is the most likely)
2) oil leak (you ruled this out since you checked the oil and said it was full)
3) the oil pump is failing, however t his seems unlikely.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
fabes253
Amateur

Yes that PCM valve I think that is what they replaced. So cause and effect, if this is the issue what should I replace/look at from here? Thank you!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
jjphurst
Rookie

Was probably the PCV or positive crankcase ventilation valve that they replaced.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 AM
fabes253
Amateur

ahh, yea I remember PC something so maybe, but anyhow what should I be replacing or looking at?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it depends on which engine you have where you look.

on the 4.7 the PCV is attached to the oil fill neck, its a 90deg elbow, im not sure where it is on the 5.9.

Quick Reply: Check Engine & Oil Light Intermittent After Oil Change