1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Plasti Dipped Wheels/ Dupli-Color Perfect Match

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM
BADurang87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Plasti Dipped Wheels/ Dupli-Color Perfect Match

I've been reading alot about plast-dipped wheels and how it can really enhance the exterior look of your rig with minimal costs and effort. My question was if anybody knew if you could get plasti color in Dark Garnet Red, because I want to paint my wheels to match my body exterior. I also wanted to know if anyone could provide any insight on the usage of Dupli-color perfect match paint on wheels. I was reading the description of this product and it says it can be used on *******ly any OEM surface, so I was curious if this would adhere to my wheels. The Dupli-Color perfect match has Garnet Red as an option so if this could be done I will probably go this route in painting my wheels. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the plasti-dip in only available in very basic colors the dark garnet red would be a custom color.

as for painting the rims, sure its possible, but the prep work is going to be killer since you have to have a rougher surface for the paint to adhere too, also keep in mind that the rims do get hot when braking so you need a paint that can handle higher than normal temperatures

Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I saw these chrome wheel covers online that just snap over our stock wheels. Maybe you could get a set of these then paint them. The paint would probably stick to them better, and you wouldn't be risking messing up your rims. Plus you could just take them off if you didn't like how they turned out.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional

What you could try is Plasti-dip the rims first and then use the Garnet Red color or some matte red over them. You'll have the texture then so it will apply easier, but like shrps said you need a paint that can handle the heat the rims are subjected to. But it would be cheaper to do the hubcaps in case you ever decided you didn't like it any longer, which is a large possibility overtime. besides then you could take the on and off when you wanted.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
BADurang87
Default Dupli Color Wheels

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it. I actually contacted duple-color direct and they said that I would need to prep the wheels very diligently like you guys said, and that the perfect match would fine to apply on the alloy wheels. I think it'll look pretty awesome.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 PM
BADurang87

I posted some pictures of the rango with the newly painted wheels, you guys should check it out in my garage.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dipped Wheels/ Dupli-Color Perfect Match