1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help my 2000 Durango running hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM
k9roo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my 2000 Durango running hot

I have been smelling antifreeze on the outside of my Durango for the past few weeks. It's not leaking and although I did have to add a little antifreeze a few weeks ago I do not think its losing it. Just this morning I ran an errand and came back to wait on someone. As I was sitting idle with my heater on I heard the fan come on and then I noticed it started to run hot as the temp started to go over 210* and its always under that number. Any idea why this happened and why I can smell antifreeze in the front of the truck when I get out if my truck? I do not smell it inside my truck.

A little history in the last 2-5 years I have the following done by a shop.
New radiator
New heater core
New top hose
New fan clutch
New water pump
Transmission rebuilt (this was done in March of this year)

Old 11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
alwaysclean19
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going over 210 isn't a bad thing(it's within normal operating temp.), your fan is coming on doing its job trying to cool the truck down. You're sitting still so its normal for that to happen. As for the smell, look around and try to find any areas that are wet, when I had a leak it was the smallest spot that would only open under operating temps. so it was hard to find and lost an almost unnoticeable amount of antifreeze. As long as you check your antifreeze and the level is good there is no problem here.

Quick Reply: Help my 2000 Durango running hot