1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

OE Security System

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OE Security System

Quick question about this: I just bought a 2002 Durango (yes the R/T is gone thanks to Superstorm Sandy ). It doesn't have a factory security system. Is there a way to add this? Would it be possible to get an OE system by swapping in a PCM with security?

This might be a stupid question, but the reason I'm asking is that I know nothing about these electronics. Humor me ... I want to know about this before I get an aftermarket system.
Thx

Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the PCM doesnt have the security system built into it(all the PCM needs to know is the kill signal saying that the wrong key was used tos tart the truck), that would be the CTM, you MIGHT be able to have it programmed at a dealer to run the factory system, however (i say this not knowing where in NJ you live) i have never felt a need to have it myself.

as a note, if you have the gray key, you have the anti-theft imobilizer system (chip key) built in already (this is a small part of the security system)

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
02 Durango_R/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. So why do people always say if you swap the computer try to get one with or without the security depending on the situation? I thought the info was stored there. My truck has the black key so I know it doesn't have a factory system. I want to stay away from aftermarket systems because I like the factory immobilizer feature. Besides it seems that most aftermarket systems have a nasty siren that no one pays attention to & everyone hates.

Does anyone else has an idea for how to get a factory alarm in a vehicle that didn't come with one? Meanwhile I'll ask at a dealership.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the PCM needs to know if there is a security system in the truck or not because if there is one it sends the ok to the PCM to run the engine or no depending on the situation

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You could get the Mopar EVSII add on alarm system installed. They were a dealer option when the truck was purchased from the dealer. It works with the factory key fob too. There were 2 different ones for 98-00 vs 01-03 so you'd have to find the right one. It took me a good bit of digging to find one, but I finally did last winter and have had it installed since, and I love it.

Quick Reply: OE Security System