1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

shop rag left in oil pan 5.9 2003 SLT Durango

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
hi_speed_tourist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop rag left in oil pan 5.9 2003 SLT Durango

Expletive expletive!

Had a mechanic friend change the rear main seal. Emphasize "friend" so please refrain from legal advice. And yes it was the friend not I. I'd admit it.

Scenario:

Changed rear main seal, water pump and oil pump
Oil pressure was at about 65lbs. Dropped to zero. Drove home about 100 yards and pulled the pan. Found drier lint looking leftovers of a shop rag. Cleaned it out. Put it back together and again pressure drops to zero. Im sure its more rag in the pickup screen. Questions are: Can the rag get into engine from the pan besides going past the pump? Where else and or what else should I be looking to ensure the debris from the rag is eliminated? Any idea besides the 6 hours to R&R pan?

Once oil pressure dropped the vehicle was run maybe 100 to 300 yards tops.
Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Signed,
All ragged out in Oregon

Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hi_speed_tourist
Expletive expletive!

Had a mechanic friend change the rear main seal. Emphasize "friend" so please refrain from legal advice. And yes it was the friend not I. I'd admit it.

Scenario:

Changed rear main seal, water pump and oil pump
Oil pressure was at about 65lbs. Dropped to zero. Drove home about 100 yards and pulled the pan. Found drier lint looking leftovers of a shop rag. Cleaned it out. Put it back together and again pressure drops to zero. Im sure its more rag in the pickup screen. Questions are: Can the rag get into engine from the pan besides going past the pump? Where else and or what else should I be looking to ensure the debris from the rag is eliminated? Any idea besides the 6 hours to R&R pan?

Once oil pressure dropped the vehicle was run maybe 100 to 300 yards tops.
Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Signed,
All ragged out in Oregon

Quick Reply: shop rag left in oil pan 5.9 2003 SLT Durango