1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

longest brake job in my life!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
arcticpower28
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longest brake job in my life!!

Went to change brakes on a 2003 durango, had the brakes in the garage since fall and new I was going to be needing them soon. I got the one side off and installed the brakes put caliper back on. drivers side I got the brakes on and blew the piston caliper rubber out. So I set out to the auto parts store to get a new caliper, decided to buy two and have them both equal. Both calipers came with a new bracket also undid all what I did and put the new calipers and bracket on, bled brakes etc.. Simple now the most easy part turned into a nightmare!! Go to put the wheel on and the wheel will push all the way back where it should! The calipers are hitting the inside of the wheel and allowing it to go on?? What is going on there?? I called the store and talked to another person then I delt with and gave me the same part numbers as the other dude did when I was there to get the parts. Even called another store, Parts are right! Yes the calipers are on the right sides of the vehicle, with the bleeding screw at the top! could the brackets be wrong maybe on the wron sides? I took one caliper and bracket out of the box at once They only go on one way per side,. I noticed something strange the rear of the brake pads stick out past the rotor 3/16" -1/4" with only roughly 3/4 of the pad on the rotor? Something isnt right here. What can be my issue?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

got pictures? they are much better than a written description

Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah pics would be good. The 2003 has a different brake setup than all the other years too, I know my caliper bolts directly to the steering knuckle with no brackets or anything

Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Miguelito1961
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the brakes on my "03" 4 months ago, had the same issue. The pads did have full contact with the rotors. I used the old brackets and all was well. If you compare the old and new brackets you will probably notice they are not the same. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: longest brake job in my life!!