1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

200,000 miles on my '01 D! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Rawyzf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFNR
Nice making it to 200K, Ive always thought that if I made it to 200k my Truck would immediately combust.
This is something I thought happened too!

I bought mine from a one owner, so I know some of the history on it. The previous owner couldn't recall the last Tranny Service or 4wd Service, so I just went ahead and had it done.

This truck is still on it's first transmission and 4wd components.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
GFNR
Amateur

That's good, very impressive actually. From now on I'm going to look at your truck conspicuously, wondering what it's got up it's sleeve.

Question...

Have you done anything to your vehicles interior?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Rawyzf
Professional

LOL, I am not sure how the previous owner drove it (besides a lot of Cabin trips for the weekend to rackup the milage), but I drive it with TLC mostly. Only get on it when I am needing to pass someone or pull out into traffic.

Interior: I haven't done anything beside the Car Seat for the 2yr old and then some tumble weeds of dog hair from the 11yr dog.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rawyzf
I believe you, but....

With the driving conditions and temp ranges here in MN, no way I'd go 100K without changing fluids. Maybe 50K (About 2yrs for me), but that is max.

There is never anything wrong with changing fluids more frequently than not in my opinion, especially in a higher milage vehicle.

Everyone is differnet though, and I don't see any issues with that.
let me put it to you this way, DODGE tells you to change it at that interval, they account for the vast majority of use cases in their market area, that includes the US and Canada as their primary markets, changing it more often than they tell you to will hurt nothing except your wallet, its your money and your truck, im just here to help you keep them both

Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
GFNR
Amateur

So I'm mid 20s and I got the vehicle when I was in my late teens...so you can make your own assumptions on how much wear and tear the vehicle has come under. I will tell you this, most of the repairs occurred on my watch.

The reason why I ask you about the interior is because I want to start upgrading something and I want to do it myself, so maybe some ideas on some cheap easy upgrades?

Interior or exterior really.... there's no real difference.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Rawyzf
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
let me put it to you this way, DODGE tells you to change it at that interval, they account for the vast majority of use cases in their market area, that includes the US and Canada as their primary markets, changing it more often than they tell you to will hurt nothing except your wallet, its your money and your truck, im just here to help you keep them both
Both of us have opinions, no one is right or wrong. I've only had to replace one transmission in my lifetime (20yrs of driving), so I'll keep with my approach.

I am extra cautious with the Durango though, because of thier known transmission issues.

Originally Posted by GFNR
So I'm mid 20s and I got the vehicle when I was in my late teens...so you can make your own assumptions on how much wear and tear the vehicle has come under. I will tell you this, most of the repairs occurred on my watch.

The reason why I ask you about the interior is because I want to start upgrading something and I want to do it myself, so maybe some ideas on some cheap easy upgrades?

Interior or exterior really.... there's no real difference.
Cheap easy (and cheesy if you're not careful) would be painting or covering trim pieces on the interior.

Exterior, I put on step bars, bug shields, A/T tires, clear signals.

I don't plan to put too much into the Durango. Most of my modification money goes to the G8.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

my opinion is that the engineers at dodge who were paid big money to figure this stuff out know what they are doing and should be followed (this is speaking as an engineer, we dont do anything without a solid reasoning)

and the weak transmissions where the 42, 44, and 46 re units, the 45 and 545 are built to handle the power put out by the hemi, behind the little 4.7 they will be as close to bulletproof as you can find

Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Rawyzf
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
my opinion is that the engineers at dodge who were paid big money to figure this stuff out know what they are doing and should be followed (this is speaking as an engineer, we dont do anything without a solid reasoning)

and the weak transmissions where the 42, 44, and 46 re units, the 45 and 545 are built to handle the power put out by the hemi, behind the little 4.7 they will be as close to bulletproof as you can find
I agree on the engineer standpoint, have a good buddy who is one. It drives me nuts that he analyzes everything from every angle, sometimes even over thinking it. But definately smart and know what they are doing.

Good point on the 4.7 vs the 5.2/5.9 Magnum.

I do see quiet a few posts on 4.7/Tranny issues, but a lot of those could just be neglect too, who knows. Everyone treats/drives thier vehicles differently.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
GFNR
Amateur

Seems simple enough. I really do have a problem with clear signals. My headlamps are always a foggy mess, its a surprise I havent ran into anything yet.

I was looking at those projector HID headlamps, Anyone know anything about those?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Decepticon-Rango
Amateur

I got 8k hids on my truck its got a nice ice blue tint to em and just got some headlight restorer to clear them out a lil before buying new housings and changed all 4 speakers and headunit and threw a 15" sub in mine painted the grill and rims black and tinted the windows and to be honest other that getting new shackles and cranking the torsion bars up I think that's pretty much the cheapest bit of stuff you can do to a D to give it a diff look and feel inside and out. at least in my opinion im pretty sure theres other lil things you can do that I don't know of.

Quick Reply: 200,000 miles on my '01 D! Now what?