1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'99 Durango lift-kit end-link issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Roddey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '99 Durango lift-kit end-link issues

Okay, here is another issue I have been having with my Durango.
How many of you have a lifted Durango and have you ever lost the end-link caps on the front anti-sway bar?
Not long after buying the truck, I discovered several issues with the lift kit in the entire front suspension.
It is a Tough Country 5 1/2" lift...the only that exists for this gen Durango that I have ever found.
Anyway, I think whomever installed this was a complete moron and I think they let their 13yr old little brother use random nuts and bolts and let him tighten them too.
It also looked like they used slag to weld it.
I could have done a better job with a bic lighter and some JB Weld, a broken screwdriver and a left-handed crescent wrench! lol
I have had all of that rebuilt by a reputable 4x4 specialty shop with all new heavy-duty Moog parts.
But, I keep either popping off an entire end-link cap or shearing off one or both bolt-heads on one or both end-link caps on the front anti-sway bar.
The shop that does the work that I can't do, thought they had the angle figured out, but as of today, I have discovered yet another bolt-head has sheared off again!
WTH?
I do not drive like a raging moron and I have not been off-road.
I haven't even driven over a curb!
Anyone have any ideas on WHY this keeps happening or HOW to fix it permanently?
One friend, who is an ex mechanic for Dodge suggests some sort of heim joints might do the trick. It seems there is just too much binding/pressure going on with the lift-kit.

Thanks again guys.
Rory

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
lvphotos
Veteran

Not sure what the issue is but it is a cradle drop everything should be in stock location, just 5.5" lower. Here is a link for the lift that shows lift and here is a pic with my plate off. Let me know if I can get a better shot for you.
http://www.tuffcountry.com/dodge-lif...lift-kits.html

Last edited by lvphotos; 03-21-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Roddey

lvphotos,
I'll see what I can do about getting some pics later today.
I thought I had some, but the only photos I have are of the literal hack-job the previous owner did on the lift-kit and on the cross-members.
This is what I'd like to do to the previous owner...

Quick Reply: '99 Durango lift-kit end-link issues