1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango 5.9L RPM fluctuation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM
vettech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2003 Durango 5.9L RPM fluctuation help

First time poster I have been pouring over forums for weeks and just want to see if anyone can offer any more direct guidance on my issue. I have a 2003 Durango SLT 5.9L V8 4x4, 46RE 4 speed trans. I noticed several months ago an RPM fluctuation while doing highway driving with the cruise on. Since then, the fluctuation has continued, even without the cruise control. This seems to occur most commonly between 40 and 45 MPH at about 1200-1300 PRM. The fluctuation is about 200-300 rpm continuous up & down, and seems to last a short time (less than one minute). If you stomp on the throttle, it will pick up & go without any fluctuation. More recently, it seems to bog down - have no power, in the same 40-45 mph range. I also think I can hear a fluctuation without noticing the RPM gauge indicating a problem.
The computer is not showing any codes at all.
I started with a tune up - good quality plugs, wires, cap and rotor. That did not help. Then I replaced the TPS with an aftermarket part and reset the computer. It seemed to improve for a couple of days, but then returned. Took it to a reputable tranny shop at the suggestion of a mechanic friend (who thinks the torque converter is going) and he said tranny is fine and couldn't pull any diagnosic codes off of it. Took it to the dealership and they said they would start with a factory TPS. I replaced the aftermarket part with a MOPAR TPS and reset the computer. Again, there was some improvement for a couple of days and then the fluctuation returned. I then removed, cleaned and replaced the throttle body and IAC. The fluctuation is now more pronounced with some "bucking" when that occurs. I am waiting on a factory MAP sensor and will repalce that next.
I think I'm on the right track and will have to continue to rule things in or out...if the MAP sensor doesn't resolve the problem I will replace the IAC. I've read it could be the EGR valve, fuel injectors, fuel pump..... the list seems to go on and on. Just looking for some suggestions so that I might be able to stop throwing parts at it & actually find an resolve the problem.
Thanks!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-d...s-section.html

ill move this for you.

also there is no egr valve on your truck

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 02-16-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango 5.9L RPM fluctuation help