1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
one big mess
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission removal

Ok I've been working on removing my transmission. I'm down to the very top bolt/nut on the transfer case and three on the transmission. Any suggestions on how to reach the top of the transfer case bolt/nut. I've takin out the crossmember and lowered it a bit trying not to put too much weight on the trans. Damn can Dodge make the bolts any tighter (ha ha). I have the 5.9l and the 46re transmission. Any help would be great and thanks in advance

Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the transfer case shifter boots and you'll have direct access to that top bolt. BTW, the handle on the shifter has a metric nut hiding under that cap. Carefully pry out the cap, remove the nut and handle, and be careful with the upper boot...it has a wire hoop inside the bade of the boot that kind of clips under the plastic shroud. That wire hoop is glued in the boot and the glue gets brittle and if that wire gets dislodged you won't be able to properly install the boot back when you're done.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 AM
one big mess
Amateur

Just to make sure I know where your talking bout. Your talking bout where my 4 wheel shift **** is. Boy this ain't like changing a trans in an 80's Monty Carlo. Been working on this for a week now. Should of paid to have it removed

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by one big mess
Just to make sure I know where your talking bout. Your talking bout where my 4 wheel shift **** is. Boy this ain't like changing a trans in an 80's Monty Carlo. Been working on this for a week now. Should of paid to have it removed

Trust me that top bolt is a total pain and you have get at it from inside the cabin floor, after removing the boots.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
one big mess
Amateur

Originally Posted by Sooper
Trust me that top bolt is a total pain and you have get at it from inside the cabin floor, after removing the boots.
OK Thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
floyddparsons
Default Crossmember removal

The top TC bolt was less of a pain than the crossmember. I don't think mine would move frontward. I finally pounded it out toward the back, after removing the entire mount in order to allow the crossmember to slide up and back. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to get it back in. I'm also planning on replacing the 46RE with an NV3500 5 spd. We'll see.
I think I attached a pic of the attachment train I used to get at that top TC bolt, from the passenger side.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission removal-image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
lynnosler
Rookie

I would just like to know why Dodge has to make everything so DAMN complicated!

Quick Reply: Transmission removal