1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I've HAD it with Midas Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Bimmer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've HAD it with Midas Brakes!

I've had this '99 5.2L Durango a couple of years. It's high miles but when I bought it, the brakes, both front and rears had been completely replaced. It seems they only last 6 months and they're warping! I live in Springfield, Missouri where the roads are pretty flat. These brakes should NOT be warping like this. I'm thinking that Midas installs sub-grade brakes and keeps you coming back every six months just so they can nail you for the labor fees!

I'm essentially tired of this crap and am about ready to buy my own brakes and have them install them. What part manufacturers have you guys had the best success with?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer
I've had this '99 5.2L Durango a couple of years. It's high miles but when I bought it, the brakes, both front and rears had been completely replaced. It seems they only last 6 months and they're warping! I live in Springfield, Missouri where the roads are pretty flat. These brakes should NOT be warping like this. I'm thinking that Midas installs sub-grade brakes and keeps you coming back every six months just so they can nail you for the labor fees!

I'm essentially tired of this crap and am about ready to buy my own brakes and have them install them. What part manufacturers have you guys had the best success with?

Most of those chain shops will cut as many corners as they can to turn a higher profit.

I prefer to buy my brake components from either Napa or Oreilly. If you're not up to installing it all yourself, I can tell you that of all the local Chain shops here in MO, Big O has a good reputation for being honest and fair.

I can recommend a few great shops up here in Columbia if you don't mind the drive but I don't know many shops down in your area. Sometimes a good independent shop is better than a chain shop.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you never went to Midas, so you're actually out zero bucks, and had 6 months of a delayed brake job done your way.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Sounds like you never went to Midas, so you're actually out zero bucks, and had 6 months of a delayed brake job done your way.
I'm not quite catching the gist of your reply. I've been to Midas 3 times since I bought the Durango in May 2011. Had complete brake job done all the way around and the rotors have never lasted more than 6 months. Had the tie rods replaced last summer and already I'm feeling play, misalignment and clunking. I every time I go back it's at LEAST $130 in labor fees even though the parts are warranteed, you still have to pay the labor to have them installed. I take it then that you've not been to Midas, or similar place and had that experience?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree, cheap rotors will warp and cheap pads will give you poor braking performance, i put a set of bendix ceramic pads on mine back in december and 7k miles later im loving them, i also put a new set of wagner rotors on it at the same time, no warping problems at this point, just keep in mind tha these trucks WILL warp any rotor you put on it because they are so heavy for the small brakes on the front

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer
I'm not quite catching the gist of your reply. I take it then that you've not been to Midas, or similar place and had that experience?
Yes, sorry, I must have misread your post. I thought you bought the D just after the prev owner had Midas do work before you bought it. With your story I'd say they suck big time too.

No, I have never been to them, or any other repair place actually in most all of my 50+ years of car ownership. Other than automatic transmissions, I do all my own work. Brakes are actually pretty easy, most anyone with a 90+ IQ that knows which end of a screwdriver to hold can swap rotors and pads.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Uller God

Break in your pads and rotors the proper way and never leave your foot on the pedal after a hard stop and the problems will cease. 10 hard stops from 60-5MPH, then coast. Do not stop all the way, you do not want pad imprinting and material transfer to take place. NEVER leave your foot on the brake pedal after you have used the brakes hard, slowly let the vehicle creep forward or put it in neutral. What causes the vibration is not due to actual warping but a process called cementite.

Quick Reply: I've HAD it with Midas Brakes!